C4 Forums | Control4

Can someone please explain what is happening Tuesday May 22nd?

jfh

Can someone in the know please explain what will happen on Tuesday?  Apparently C4 is changing security certificate providers and releasing 2.10.2

Does this mean that HE and 4Sight will stop working until the system is updated to 2.10.2?

what happens to anyone not already on 2.10.1? (Just curious, as I'm already there)

I'm guessing that all the recent web service outages are related to this change.

I saw that C4 customers were supposed to get an email yesterday however I did not.

I hope dealers aren't swamped on Tuesday ...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is how I understand it, its still pretty confusing.

For the last 2 weeks or so any controller that has been online, registered and successfully checking in should 'automatically' have received the patch already and should not see any distruption in service.

If your system is offline, not registered or there is a networking issue causeing it to not check it after May22 your dealer will need to apply a manual patch to update the security certificate.

Composer is going to be a real pain becuase in 2.10.2 it has updated certificate built in, but then if you install a lesser version the certificate is wiped and a manual patch must be applied, then you will have to download 2.10.2 and install that again to get the proper certificate again. Sound like the biggest pain in the butt is going to be dealers with composer always having to uninstall and reinstall new/old versions depending if the certificate got updated or now.

Thats my understanding but I could be mistaken

A customer should not have to do anything besides update their Control4 app on the App Store or Play Store.

If you lose connectivity, make sure you have internet access to that controller, make sure your app is updated, and then call your dealer to run a patch.

31 minutes ago, BraydonH said:

Composer is going to be a real pain becuase in 2.10.2 it has updated certificate built in, but then if you install a lesser version the certificate is wiped and a manual patch must be applied, then you will have to download 2.10.2 and install that again to get the proper certificate again. 

When you say Composer, do you mean Pro or HE or both?   And when you say "lesser version" are you referring to moving from 2.10 back to 2.9.1 (as a dealer with multiple customers might do) or do you mean "lesser version" as in Composer HE rather than Pro?  If a patch needs to be applied as an HE user does that magically get done by installing HE 2.10.2 or does my dealer need to do something?

Also - aren't there also certificates on the PCs?   I have two PCs with HE installed.  Last week I noticed that one of the PCs will no longer connect (the other PC connects fine) - I just get some generic "Unable to connect" message with no details.  I'm annoyed because of course the PC that no longer connects is the one that's easier to use.  Given the timing, I suspect this is somehow related to the patch you mentioned.

Does the controller store some sort of certificate list by PC of devices allowed to connect to the system?  

Another update from the official Control4 forums

" but as of yesterday 99% of all controllers worldwide had been successfully patched. I don't think you need to worry about many/any customers not having the patch installed unless it's a cabin type install with no internet, and if that's the case they aren't accessing our servers anyway. "

99% of all controllers have been patched. So I guess it should be pretty minor

Yes, this mainly affects Composer, both Pro and HE, although Control4 mobile apps will also need to be updated, with the new versions already available in app stores.

Controllers themselves if connected to the Internet will have their certificates automatically updated (most already have been updated).

Dealers, if they install an old version of Composer will need to apply the patch again, which will patch all locally installed versions.

RyanE

9 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Software update - 2.10.2 

Only reason I can see for it is the Intercom App and only reason I can see for the changes in Cert`s is the same

Only a Guess 

What's it with the intercom app. What can it do?

1 hour ago, blub said:

What's it with the intercom app. What can it do?

Ultimately, when the intercom app rolls out, the first thing it will do is calm some people down in this forum. Other than that, it'll be great.

1 hour ago, dcovach said:

Ultimately, when the intercom app rolls out, the first thing it will do is calm some people down in this forum. Other than that, it'll be great.

LoL

But still what wil it be able to do? Send a cams video stream to my Control4 Android app?

14 minutes ago, blub said:

LoL

But still what wil it be able to do? Send a cams video stream to my Control4 Android app?

That is the idea. Video call your phone via a separate (faster to load) app that will also give you access to the intercom buttons (e.g. to open gates). Theoretically it will work on Wi-Fi and over a cellular network... can’t wait... but am waiting (impatiently). 

17 minutes ago, blub said:

LoL

I don't claim to know details but it will at least do what all the other video doorbells can do already.  On a doorbell press, you'll get a video call on the ios/android c4 intercom app and you'll be able answer remotely, not just locally.

You may even be able to program a call on motion sense, but don't quote me.  Depends on how the app is designed.  I don't know if an ios/android device with the intercom app will be considered an "intercom device".  It's been a while since I watched the video stream of the last announcement.  I'm unsure if the app will be able to start a remote call to all intercom enabled devices (touch screens) and ios/android devices as well.  I'm just guessing on that part.  It's possible. I'm sure someone with more insight or a better memory will be able to correct me.  No official details are allowed to be broadcasted. Typical MI6 protocol.

On 5/18/2018 at 1:08 PM, RyanE said:

Yes, this mainly affects Composer, both Pro and HE, although Control4 mobile apps will also need to be updated, with the new versions already available in app stores.

Controllers themselves if connected to the Internet will have their certificates automatically updated (most already have been updated).

Dealers, if they install an old version of Composer will need to apply the patch again, which will patch all locally installed versions.

RyanE

Are you saying my current Composer will not work any longer?

Sigh.

For the end-user, other than making sure your phone/tablet app is up to date, likely NOTHING will change for your running system. Stop worrying about your system.

IF you have HE, you may need to either update your system to 2.10.whatever OR get the patch ran on your computer. Contact your dealer to get a copy.

SHOULD you get a new computer etc, you may need to re-do that last bit

For dealers - refer to the dealer forums as it's confusing end-users with all the things WE need to do and worry about which is much more involved

Archived