C4 Forums | Control4

Weather Underground

Maybe I'm missing something.  I usually am.

Has anyone had any luck setting this driver up new lately?  When I go to the free data link in the driver documentation, i get a message that they aren't offering that services any longer.
Can anyone confirm?

Looks like they removed the free tier of the API:

To improve our services and enhance our relationship with our users, we will no longer provide free weather API keys as part of our program. If you have been directed to download our Weather Underground free API key by a third party provider, please contact your vendor for resolution.

I like the price but sounds like its in that gray area.  Chowmain has a $60 driver...I'm looking into that.  I use it to adjust my thermostat in my house since the upstairs gets warmer in the direct sunlight and summer time.  Unless I should just pick up another sensor that provides c4 with 2nd zone temp to program off of.....

46 minutes ago, ecschnei said:

I like the price but sounds like its in that gray area.  Chowmain has a $60 driver...I'm looking into that.  I use it to adjust my thermostat in my house since the upstairs gets warmer in the direct sunlight and summer time.  Unless I should just pick up another sensor that provides c4 with 2nd zone temp to program off of.....

I was going to do the same thing, along with send me some alerts about rain so I would remember shut down my sprinklers.  What's the chowmain driver called?

3 hours ago, Pierre Lannoy said:

Hello all!

You can use the free universal api key shown at line 38 of this file : https://github.com/katzwebservices/Wunderground/blob/master/wunderground.php

Regards,

Pierre

The problem with this and people signing up for services intended for development use is all these services get killed when everyone starts abusing them. 

Where does it say that key is a free universal one?

2 hours ago, THEORY said:

The problem with this and people signing up for services intended for development use is all these services get killed when everyone starts abusing them. 

Where does it say that key is a free universal one?

You would think, but in reality that ship has already sailed. IBM is eliminating personal use API usage.

5 hours ago, Pounce said:

You would think, but in reality that ship has already sailed. IBM is eliminating personal use API usage.

They are developer licenses, not personal use.  Things get developed and when released nobody wants to pay for a proper API key. So then services shut down the developer keys.

3 minutes ago, THEORY said:

They are developer licenses, not personal use.  Things get developed and when released nobody wants to pay for a proper API key. So then services shut down the developer keys.

I'm not going to argue with you over this. I'm on the board of ethics for my local city.

Have you looked at the price for a person to use the API now that they have made changes? It's over $800 a month. The point is they are no longer offering keys for free regardless of how they are intended to be used or how they were used in practice. 

There are long threads with VERY unhappy people over at WU. I don't think we need to repeat that here.

If you want to build a commercial app and pay the API fee and then make that available to C4 customers, feel free ;)

10 hours ago, Pounce said:

I'm not going to argue with you over this. I'm on the board of ethics for my local city.

Have you looked at the price for a person to use the API now that they have made changes? It's over $800 a month. The point is they are no longer offering keys for free regardless of how they are intended to be used or how they were used in practice. 

There are long threads with VERY unhappy people over at WU. I don't think we need to repeat that here.

If you want to build a commercial app and pay the API fee and then make that available to C4 customers, feel free ;)

There is nothing to argue about.

The API was designed for developers to use for their apps.  I don't blame them for cutting off the accounts as a ton of individuals using it only for personal purposes isn't the intention of the program.

There has to be a key already used by Control4 as that is where the built in weather comes from.  The driver should be updated with the Control4 key.

1 hour ago, THEORY said:

The API was designed for developers to use for their apps

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:-uJjrEFlMroJ:https://www.wunderground.com/weather/api/d/terms.html+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

1. LICENSE. Subject to these Terms and to your remaining in compliance with these Terms, WUL licenses to you a limited, worldwide, non-exclusive, non-transferable, revocable license for your personal or commercial use:

The company grew from the stimulation of the community and API usage. Usage increased the value of the company. The new owner just has a different plan and the company is different today. They have not yet terminated keys. They just aren't issuing new ones.

If Control4 was instructing people to get keys in this way it was probably for a reason and may not have been a violation of the ToS. 

Does this mean that those of us (like me) that provide WU with data from our own weather stations, which we paid for ourselves, now have to pay $850/month to get access to our own data?  WTF?

Anyone have a suggestion on an alternative data source like WU, hopefully one that is Open?

5 minutes ago, zaphod said:

Does this mean that those of us (like me) that provide WU with data from our own weather stations, which we paid for ourselves, now have to pay $850/month to get access to our own data?  WTF?

Anyone have a suggestion on an alternative data source like WU, hopefully one that is Open?

Chowmain has an internet weather driver.  However, I thought I set you up with a weather underground driver?  If not, let me know.  

Yes, I do have the Wunderground driver because I have my own Weather Station set up as a Personal Weather Station on WU.  Ideally I will move my own Weather Station to a new service and hopefully the Chowmain, or other, driver can read the data from my own weather station.  Or I may be better off getting another device that reads the outdoor temperature, like one of the CardAccess units.

5 minutes ago, Pounce said:

https://openweathermap.org/

For developing apps where you had to pay I'd probably use something like Aeris:

https://www.aerisweather.com/signup/pricing/

The Aeris Developer API service says:

2 months free access to Aeris API and Aeris AMP*
* Valid for renewable 2 month periods

Does that mean that you can just continually renew every two months?  The next service up is $25/month.

6 minutes ago, zaphod said:

The Aeris Developer API service says:

2 months free access to Aeris API and Aeris AMP*
* Valid for renewable 2 month periods

Does that mean that you can just continually renew every two months?  The next service up is $25/month.

No clue how the renewal works. They were smart to time limit the usage. That's where WU messed up. Aeris can continue with free usage until they don't feel like it and then they only have to wait 2 months before all the free keys are dead.

Check out apixu. I added the link above. No idea of the quality of the data or the stability of the company. 

Archived