C4 Forums | Control4

Weather Underground

Was looking into Dark Sky (the service Chowmain uses for his weather driver) to see if they mention something similar in their ToS about end users, and sure enough they do (bolded):

Use of Service

Subject to these Terms of Service, Dark Sky grants you a limited, non-exclusive, non-assignable, non-sublicensable, non-transferable, revocable, worldwide license for Licensee’s personal or commercial use to:

• make calls to the Service to retrieve data from the Service; and
  • use, convey, and display the data retrieved from the Service in a manner consistent with the terms of these Terms of Service.

Your permission to use the Service is condition upon your agreement that you will not:

• use the Service in a manner that is inconsistent with applicable law;
  • create multiple accounts or utilize any script or other automated tool that attempts to create multiple accounts;
  • direct your end-users to sign up for their own API account (The Dark Sky API not intended to be used directly by end-users);

https://darksky.net/dev/docs/terms

Yes, and the complexity of managing/not managing the security of the API key's. The literal cost for one customers use of an API is probably quite low. You would just need to sell enough of them to cover the monthly cost of a good API and the perpetual usage... or somehow manage a subscription model.

How much would you pay for a good weather app integrated with C4 and how many are like you? I've been wondering what the market is like as I can see desire for having more functionality and extending the look and feel of the user experience on things like a T3, but the economics are a mystery to me. I'm thinking like a developer and not a customer.

I want a really nice weather app with slick graphics and customizable notifications. I also don't want to pay a lot for it, but I might pay for a bundle of things that includes a weather app and some other desirable things. My 4yo wants a "chore board" on it. That's Montessori tuition paying off :) 

I'm not sure if it's against the Dark Sky ToS (doubt it is) but you could just have a server fetch the data and relay it down to the driver instead of the driver fetching it directly. Not only that put you could group lat/lon locations to reduce the amount of API calls overall. At that point the API key is far more secure and you're issuing out fewer calls.

5 minutes ago, TheWizard said:

I'm not sure if it's against the Dark Sky ToS (doubt it is) but you could just have a server fetch the data and relay it down to the driver instead of the driver fetching it directly. Not only that put you could group lat/lon locations to reduce the amount of API calls overall. At that point the API key is far more secure and you're issuing out fewer calls.

That is the approach I would use. An abstraction layer.  I feel like caching might lead to a ToS problem because they make money on call volume.

I'd probably do it with AWS Gateway and Lambda's. You can do transformations serverless. 

You would still need to manage auth to some degree. The abstraction layer could help with swapping API's without impacting customers.

I don't see anything in the ToS about caching/storing retrieved data, but I may be overlooking it. Authentication can be done in the same way it's done now for most third party drivers. Only allow authenticated drivers access.

25 minutes ago, TheWizard said:

I don't see anything in the ToS about caching/storing retrieved data, but I may be overlooking it. Authentication can be done in the same way it's done now for most third party drivers. Only allow authenticated drivers access.

I don't see anything explicit about caching or storing data either after reading the whole thing. 

How do you know an http request is coming from an authenticated driver?

The driver generally has a key/license assigned to it with a reference in the database (at least that's how we do it). Just make sure it exists in the database and then log the connection info. If another IP starts using the same license simultaneously for calls you know it's compromised.

• 1 month later...

I was getting no or bad data from the Weather Underground data - I reselected my weather station to the same one as before (my own PWS) and it seems to be working fine.  Have others had this issue as well?

Same here.

I dont have my own station but use one .5 km away. Was getting funky readings. Changed stations to the general area station for a couple of days I went back to original.

Readings are fine now.

• 4 months later...

A bit of an update on this - the existing API is being shut down at the end of 2018.  Presumably this means that the WU driver will stop receiving data:

As a result, we’ve made the difficult decision to retire the Weather Underground API. The Weather Company, which acquired WU back in 2012, offers a powerful suite of enterprise-grade APIs that might be better suited to meet your scale and performance needs while offering a broader range of weather data. You can see these products here.

Here’s what you need to know going forward:

• Your subscriptions, and therefore access, will continue to work through 12/31/2018.

• If you are a paying WU API customer, you will receive a call from a representative from The Weather Company, and IBM business, to discuss transition options to other API services. If you’d like to have these conversations sooner, contact us.

• If you are a Personal Weather Station owner, you will receive more information about our plan to offer free access to the data you provide to Weather Underground. We’ll reach out once that plan has been finalized.

• For developers who use WU API data for non-commercial purposes, you will have access to a new plan for a personal use, low call volume API. Stay tuned for more details as we build this out.

• The WU Forum will continue to be the best place to connect, keep you informed, share your feedback and get your questions answered as we go through this process.

Crap. I liked the driver.

Control4 also shows the outside temperature- can I use that in programming (I don't recall that I can).

Is there any alternative?

Gesendet von meinem SM-G955F mit Tapatalk

I have a Davis PWS in my back yard, and I feed Weather Underground.  I just started looking at my account, and it now shows that I have a "paid" subscription, so I started reading.  It looks like if you have a PWS, and are feeding WU with updates, you will retain access to be able to download from their API.  This snipped comes from comments from Victoria Gardner, an IBM rep, on the announcement, which is here: https://apicommunity.wunderground.com/weatherapi/topics/end-of-service-for-the-weather-underground-api

PWS owners who are uploading their data will have uninterrupted access to their data, and a limited range of additional items.  They will be able to access up to 1000 calls per day and 30 calls/minute.  (This reflects an increase over what I mentioned before, which was the base level for the WU API.)  When the API for the PWS uploaders is ready, we will provide a transition period to switch from the WU API to the new API.  For PWS uploaders, the Weather Underground API will not close down on December 31.

For everyone else, and yes, this includes the many people with developer keys, the Weather Underground API will close down on December 31, 2018, unless they have made a prior contractual arrangement with IBM/The Weather Company.  

Ok, so it looks like they won't close it down on Dec 31, but it does like look it will close down fairly soon.  And that only helps folks like you (and me) who are PWS uploaders.  I imagine many folks who use the C4 driver aren't uploaders.  And then the next question is:  will C4 update the driver to handle the new API?

Archived