C4 Forums | Control4

Router recs to replace Apple routers?

Hi,

I'm getting a quote from a local dealer to upgrade my 8 year old system (new HDMI-capable matrix, gigabit switches, upgraded cameras, etc.) and would also like to switch out my wifi system.  I currently have an older generation Apple Airport Extreme (the flat one, not newer taller one) and several Airport Expresses throughout the house to improve wifi coverage.  With Apple getting out of the wifi business, I think it's a good time to switch these out to some better, newer tech that may provide more features and/or improve coverage throughout the house.

I always heard good things about Netgear and their higher end routers, but would like to ask you all what you would be looking for in terms of features and brands if you had this opportunity to upgrade.

Thanks in advance.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have had good results with my ubiquity access points. Rukus/pakedge/araknis are awesome but a bit more expensive. Going with access points that communicate, mesh, band steer will give a much better experience than a consumer grade router. What is the square footage and number of floors? As well as outdoor coverage requirements

Would you guys include Amplifi under the Ubiquiti umbrella?

Square footage is almost 5000 and it's a single story house, L-shaped.

Currently, the rack/router are at one end of the "L", the family room is kind of at the intersection of the "L" and the opposite end of the "L" is a guest bedroom.

Depends on budget and such but a Unifi setup with USG, Cloud Key, UAP-AC-Pro and PoE Unifi switches is amazing.

If you want to keep the budget in tact than Netgear Nighthawk R7000 is a decent cost effective router

Also the Pakedge WR-1 is a great piece, but its wi-fi likely won't cover your enitire house and Pakedge WAPs are still pretty steep in price. WR-1 is a great choice though

If you are up there in the attic etc changing your security camera cables put some in for UniFi AP's and put a couple Lite ones in. Cheap and work well.

If you want to spend more money people say good things about Ruckus and Araknis. 

I use Ubiquiti and find the feature to price ratio very good. I think you might just want something to work and not fiddle with it. If that's the case you might want to validate what the dealer wants you to have. Probably one of the 3 or 4 mentioned.

+1 for ubiquity.  also +1 for adding those cat cables if you can.  
i have 3 of the waps at my house.  one on the 2nd floor and one in the basement.  House coverage is good.

I also recently installed one of the outdoor models out on my back patio under the deck, as the masonry on the back of my house made my outdoor signal poor.  Gotta have wifi at the firepit else there is no reason to go on.  😆

For sure, you need to replace Apple router, it is the multicast that Apple router will cause network stability issue.  

It is better to get dedicated router as flat configuration or managed configuration with your switch.  Pakedge RK-1 router is pretty good, but it is expensive... I don’t recomment AP from Pakedge, which I had bad experience.   

23 hours ago, pinkoos said:

Would you guys include Amplifi under the Ubiquiti umbrella?

i did a very minor amount of looking around.  my initial assessment is No, not from a performance perspective.  Yes, Unifi and Amplify are both under the Ubiquity Umbrella, but one is more enterprise class vs end user class.  It is definitely seems to be  more consumer-centetric which is fine.  I'm sure it works well for the average apartment. or small home.  The downfall in my opinion is that it doesn't do wired uplink for the repeaters.  

Do a little homework on how each new wireless device degrades a WAP's performance.  

and for the prices, which seems comparable to Unifi, why wouldn't you just go with Unifi.

just my .02

Good luck

Anyone want to chime in on the russian malware issue with all the routers?  What should we be looking for in the routers?  Sorry if that is more for another forum but I know we have experts on here that are better informed on the ways C4 exposes our systems to the world.

Just now, ecschnei said:

Anyone want to chime in on the russian malware issue with all the routers?  What should we be looking for in the routers?  Sorry if that is more for another forum but I know we have experts on here that are better informed on the ways C4 exposes our systems to the world.

Use a security appliance from a major company.

I am also considering replacing my network gear.  After my reaserch I am inclined to use the LR.

Any reason to go with one specific model of the uap.  Pro vs lr vs lite or even the new nano hd?

11 hours ago, 88Tiger88 said:

For sure, you need to replace Apple router, it is the multicast that Apple router will cause network stability issue.  

It is better to get dedicated router as flat configuration or managed configuration with your switch.  Pakedge RK-1 router is pretty good, but it is expensive... I don’t recomment AP from Pakedge, which I had bad experience.   

I have used an Apple Airport Extreme the whole time I have had Control4 and have never had a problem.

That said, I will probably be looking to move to something like Eero in a couple of years.

28 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

I am also considering replacing my network gear.  After my reaserch I am inclined to use the LR.

Any reason to go with one specific model of the uap.  Pro vs lr vs lite or even the new nano hd?

You can compare the specs. Most people just buy more than they can use. For a home the lite is sufficient, but the others do the same and more. Most homes don't have 4x4 MIMO devices, but if you have a lot of wifi devices you will at some point in the future.

I installed the lite units because they are enough for my needs and they are simple to swap later. If the Nano was out when I purchased I would have installed those at twice the cost simply to get the skins and a different look... plus moar goodness.

So if you just want to hit the target and a few hundred bucks is insignificant overall I'd go with the HD or Nano. Obviously, the nano is less obtrusive in the house.

30 minutes ago, Bullseye said:

The AC-Pro is usually more than enough (almost overkill) for home use. Also, they are super cheap.

16 minutes ago, mallom said:

The AC-Pro is usually more than enough (almost overkill) for home use. Also, they are super cheap.

When the Nano is available it would probably be a better choice over the Pro. Nano has MU-WIMO 4x4. I agree on overkill, but why not. They are still cheaper than consumer wifi it would seem.

56 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Use a security appliance from a major company.

I am still surprised that most here do not use one.  Threat management devices combine router and WiFi controller in one box in addition to realtime scanning.  Have used one since the beginning of time here...

43 minutes ago, therockhr said:

That said, I will probably be looking to move to something like Eero in a couple of years.

I would vote ubiquity much higher than eero, Google wifi, and any other consumer mesh/repeater. 

With the clear underscore that I have not seen any issues whatsoever to date myself (though I haven't used it much) - please take note that Ubiquity is in fact on Control4's do not use list due to the lack of PIM multicasting.

In the same vein, note that any repeater use (mesh or otherwise) is also against C4 recommendation (this does NOT include Mesh systems using all hardwired APs!!!)

Google and Eero are also on the do-not use list, though in general I wouldn't recommend ANY consumer class router for Control4.

In addition to deep packet scanning, in today’s world, I recommend a security device that is able to scan encrypted traffic too.  As the hacks are starting to use HTTPS sites.  This means you will need to site certificate for your home, and moves you beyond any low end solutions.

Also want to add that I am no expert, I just have experts at my business who manage my home network for me.  Maybe some of the experts can speak to this issue for anyone who is truly concerned about the best possible home security options.

2 minutes ago, C4 User said:

In addition to deep packet scanning, in today’s world, I recommend a security device that is able to scan encrypted traffic too.  As the hacks are starting to use HTTPS sites.  This means you will need to site certificate for your home, and moves you beyond any low end solutions.

If you are doing this what are you using?  

Archived