C4 Forums | Control4

Media Scan

On 2.10.1 using HE 2.10.1 + update on HC800 with NAS on project.

Till upgrade to 2.10.1 from 2.91 no issues with network storage .

Now no data showing for "My Music", have 18 .wav files for announcements being repeated in media to the tune of 641 files.

Unable to delete files and announcements work fine ? HE will not connect to NAS " unable to connect to network share" I can connect Via Explorer ( windows)  and Finder (mac).

Tried to have it scan a music folder on my Mac = same result

At a loss

Also get a message at bottom of HE saying there are 50 updates available for my controller  

Wish I was still on 2.91

I don't remember the details, but media scan broke in 2.10.0.  There was a thread on this at the time.  I thought it was fixed in one of the 2.10.1 releases, but not sure if I have scanned anything new since then.

However, it sounds like you have an additional local problem on your system which is that the NAS is not visible.  Navigate to it in HE and click on the properties page to see if it's connected.  If not, log in to connect it and then try running media scan again.

Just now, jfh said:

I don't remember the details, but media scan broke in 2.10.0.  There was a thread on this at the time.  I thought it was fixed in one of the 2.10.1 releases, but not sure if I have scanned anything new since then.

However, it sounds like you have an additional local problem on your system which is that the NAS is not visible.  Navigate to it in HE and click on the properties page to see if it's connected.  If not, log in to connect it and then try running media scan again.

I believe it to be visible as I click on it as it shows on the network and can select the music folder the address shows for the appropriate folder but refuses to connect.

Thanks

Still cant understand why I am showing 641 files under "audio media" ( all duplicates of the original 18 )when I only have 18 files for anouncemnets 

Yea

Spent an hour remote on this and no results.

Composer ( NAS visible) but  will not connect to the NAS or Popcorn Hour hods laptop. Yet these are readable from Mac and Windows. Backup to the Nas is flawless.

Oh well!

You may need to run SMB software on your mac that replaces the native file server so that Control can access it.  I've used this free one in the past --> http://eduo.info/apps/smbup  (SMBUP) on OS's newer than Mavericks.  You'll have to turn off file sharing in the settings on your Mac and run it on start up.  To access Windows 10 folders, you'll have to create a new user with a password and grant at least read only access to the folders you're sharing with the Control4 System.

10 hours ago, dcovach said:

You may need to run SMB software on your mac that replaces the native file server so that Control can access it.  I've used this free one in the past --> http://eduo.info/apps/smbup  (SMBUP) on OS's newer than Mavericks.  You'll have to turn off file sharing in the settings on your Mac and run it on start up.  To access Windows 10 folders, you'll have to create a new user with a password and grant at least read only access to the folders you're sharing with the Control4 System.

What am I missing. I am running Windows with Parallelles. The NAS is visible and accessible via Windows 7 and Mac (High Sierra). I can read my music folder in both operating systems.

Thanks

12 hours ago, prabeau said:

What am I missing. I am running Windows with Parallelles. The NAS is visible and accessible via Windows 7 and Mac (High Sierra). I can read my music folder in both operating systems.

Thanks

Are you sharing windows 7 folders?   Try creating a new user  (with password) and grant folder permissions to that user for sharing with Control4.  Enter those new user credentials and network location in the control4 NAS driver.  I don't think the nas driver can connect to the admin user in Windows 7 or 10 anymore.  I did not have this problem with XP.  Also make sure the Windows 10 network is Private and NOT public.

I've struggled with this in the past when upgrading to a newer OS in both windows and mac.  The work arounds are annoying but this is what worked for me.  Mac OSX newer than mavericks won't work with the control4 nas driver unless you run that SMBUP software to downgrade the samba server to samba2 so control4 can access it through the nas driver.  Hopefully this gets updated one day.

11 hours ago, dcovach said:

Are you sharing windows 7 folders?   Try creating a new user  (with password) and grant folder permissions to that user for sharing with Control4.  Enter those new user credentials and network location in the control4 NAS driver.  I don't think the nas driver can connect to the admin user in Windows 7 or 10 anymore.  I did not have this problem with XP.  Also make sure the Windows 10 network is Private and NOT public.

I've struggled with this in the past when upgrading to a newer OS in both windows and mac.  The work arounds are annoying but this is what worked for me.  Mac OSX newer than mavericks won't work with the control4 nas driver unless you run that SMBUP software to downgrade the samba server to samba2 so control4 can access it through the nas driver.  Hopefully this gets updated one day.

Thanks will try 

Tried all of the above and various combinations. The only thing I havent tried is running SMBUP software, because it won't install on High Sierra. Get a message that software needs an upgrade to install.

Up the creek I guess.

I've had lots of issues over the past several years getting a network share to connect when some sort of change or update happened (on either end) and I've always managed to figure out how to work around it.  Its time consuming. An odd thing that miraculously made the connection successful was to first attempt a connection, accept the error, then click below to the next network attached storage driver and try to connect.  By the time I moved back to the first network driver that gave me an error, it was showing connected.  I can't remember if I clicked "Refresh", then waited, or tried a different combinations of methods.  In the nas driver, sometimes using a direct ip address for the network share works while sometimes the domain name of your nas computer works better.

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

I have had the NAS for years and no issues with upgrades. I think my issue started with the introduction of High Sierra. I have been reading several articles in regards to SMB network shares issue with the introduction of HS. Will try some of the recommended fixes but first must establish its not a process with no return.

13 hours ago, prabeau said:

I have had the NAS for years and no issues with upgrades. I think my issue started with the introduction of High Sierra. I have been reading several articles in regards to SMB network shares issue with the introduction of HS. Will try some of the recommended fixes but first must establish its not a process with no return.

Let us know.  Its been frustrating over the years trying to keep network shared folders from both Windows and Mac to work consistently with Control4.  A dedicated NAS drive that doesn't require a computer is the better solution for the long term.

I've been having some sort of limit issue with songs on my NAS.  I created a CIFs/Samba share on my FreeNAS and gave the C4 controller access by it's IP address.  Initial scan back in October populated my media for "My Music".

I can setup playlists and drag any song into that and I can play that in my C4 app.

However, any new songs I add via Composer, while they do get moved into my FreeNAS share correctly (verified by Explorer), don't show in Composer and if you cannot see them, you cannot make them into a playlist.

Now on 2.10.2 and the problem persists.

I've asked my dealer for months to move over to NFS from Samba (much cleaner, more secure, less memory intensive) and my dealer is non responsive.

13 minutes ago, Destroyer of Worlds said:

However, any new songs I add via Composer, while they do get moved into my FreeNAS share correctly (verified by Explorer), don't show in Composer and if you cannot see them, you cannot make them into a playlist.

Now on 2.10.2 and the problem persists.

Sounds like the original 2.10.0 media scan is broken problem.

Your dealer upgraded you to 2.10.2 and ignored your request to help move your music?   Lame.

Yep exactly the problem.  I even had to research adding deprecated Samba1 on my Windows 10 PC which is bad, bad, bad to even add songs thru composer on that PC.

Now, scan just goes idle, and added songs don't appear.  Big houseparty tomorrow and I have about 12 playlists to create from songs that already exist on my NAS.

4 minutes ago, Destroyer of Worlds said:

Yep exactly the problem.  I even had to research adding deprecated Samba1 on my Windows 10 PC which is bad, bad, bad to even add songs thru composer on that PC.

Now, scan just goes idle, and added songs don't appear.  Big houseparty tomorrow and I have about 12 playlists to create from songs that already exist on my NAS.

In some cases, the primary controller dns settings need to point to the router instead of an external dns

16 hours ago, prabeau said:

I'm not sure if this will help but log into to your primary controller with an SMB connection using windows explorer (type in its ip address) and navigate to the media folder.  Check to see if a "net" folder is there.  Create one if there isn't.  This problem is more related to thumb drives plugged into the controller and not connecting on OS 2.10.1 but its worth a look.

37 minutes ago, Destroyer of Worlds said:

I've asked my dealer for months to move over to NFS from Samba (much cleaner, more secure, less memory intensive) and my dealer is non responsive.

EXT 3 would be a really good option as I've had lots of success with it.  Control4 posted these recommended features and brands...

The following features are highly desirable in a NAS drive (especially when considering doing video streaming):

·Gigabit NIC
·7200 RPM SATA drive
·A journal file system (i.e. ext3 or xfs)
·RAID support - RAID 1, 5, or 6 not 0. Raid 1 is recommended due to data redundancy.

Control4 testing has found the following drives to work well for streaming audio and/or video content:

·Zatabit
·Netgear ReadyNAS Duo
·Buffalo Terastation
·Buffalo LinkStation
·LaCie
·QNAP

2 hours ago, dcovach said:

I'm not sure if this will help but log into to your primary controller with an SMB connection using windows explorer (type in its ip address) and navigate to the media folder.  Check to see if a "net" folder is there.  Create one if there isn't.  This problem is more related to thumb drives plugged into the controller and not connecting on OS 2.10.1 but its worth a look.

The media/net folder is there.

This worked so well for so long ....yish.

Going to change some (SMB settings on Mac) but cant see that making a difference since Composer is under Win7

1 minute ago, prabeau said:

The media/net folder is there.

This worked so well for so long ....yish.

Going to change some (SMB settings on Mac) but cant see that making a difference since Composer is under Win7

I mentioned above about checking the dns settings on the primary controller.  Its recommended to use google dns external servers but try changing dns server to the router ip. 

3 minutes ago, dcovach said:

I mentioned above about checking the dns settings on the primary controller.  Its recommended to use google dns external servers but try changing dns server to the router ip. 

Not sure how to go about that .

Will work at it and give it a go.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.