C4 Forums | Control4

Cost Effective Motion Sensors

9 hours ago, yelkenli said:

I am also looking for a good motion sensor, and one that has a sensitivity selection to allow for pets. 

Here is what I have found so far on pricing.  Not much on sensitivity though. Only the cardAccess product mentions this. Not all of these are wireless, which I can go either way - wireless easier. 

Does anyone have any experience with the sensitivity part?

Nyce Ncz-3043-ha ZigBee Ceiling Motion Sensor
$61 - HA version
C4 version unknown - does anyone have cost on this?  does this have to come through a dealer? 
sensitivity selection unknown

Just want to say I've had this sensor in my bathroom for quite a few years now and it has been super solid and responsive.  I need to buy more of them.  You will have to purchase through a dealer, or you risk getting HA version.

On ‎5‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 11:00 AM, Gary Leeds UK said:

Also have a look at Phillip Hue sensors - but you do need a bridge 

I am testing the Philips Hue Motion now. They seem to be stable and also offer temperature for the area. I have Nyce also which works well also.

On 5/27/2018 at 1:32 PM, dcovach said:

The lag may not be noticeable enough to be an annoyance but every time you introduce a hop (bridge, vera controller) that also introduces a link for failure. Having said that, the vera has been solid for me. 

I definitely recommend integrating a security system (especially dsc) if you already have motion sensors.  Those can be used for programming in control4.

I have my DSC system integrated into C4 and I use it to turn on a light for a hallway.  It works quite well with about a 0.5 second lag.

• 7 months later...
On 5/29/2018 at 1:21 AM, Gary Leeds UK said:

We also have about 6 of these guys around the house 

http://axxind.com/automation/motion-sensor/

You have sensitivity on these and it works well - We have one outside 

We’ve had big issues with C4 zigbee motions outdoors. They drop off periodically and sometimes persistently. Magically they now offer sensors with antenna. Suspect they added this option due to connection issues. If you get C4 make sure you get the ones WITH antenna. 

4 hours ago, Mjhill1234 said:

Sorry to tap into this thread but I’m also looking for cost effective PIR sensors but wired, I’m based in the U.K. and doing a house refurb so hard wired is an option. Does anyone have any recommendations for small in ceiling PIR motion sensors ?

If you install the Texecom Elite Panel (Alarm) you can use the PIR / Contact from the Alarm as a sensor - These are a lot cheaper than C4 Sensor 

• 8 months later...
1 hour ago, Zuhair said:

I'm installing a motion sensor in a room that has an EA1 V.2 installed (main controller is EA5). Is there a way to wire the motion sensor to EA1?

no, there is no Relays or sensors on an EA1.  You could use a Z2IO to connect a wired PIR to.

• 2 months later...

Hi - I need about 6 motion sensors for our remodeled home for the Bedrooms and Bathrooms to trigger lights. Already have a few in the house tied to the Elk alarm. We prewired all locations. Dealer recommended a Lutron that has a built in relay saying that it does better with false positives, etc. - LOS-CDT-2000R-WH. They are expensive and the only one that does both 360 and Relay also covers 2000sq feet. Seems so over the top for some of the small bathrooms. 

What all is really needed for this application? - what is needed at the EA5 side in the A/V Closet? - I have 4 relays open on the EA5.

This is the last piece to this automation puzzle and I could sure use some help!

LOS-CDT Series-2.pdf

I've go....it the cardAccess motions and the Phillips hue sensors.  Ive also got a few wave sensors paired to the casa verde..... I like them all... casa Verde zwave give me temp and humidity in addition to security and motion... s little slow but ok. Phillips,  temp,  motion and humidity I think... battery life is BEYOND GREAT!  Cardaccess,  ok... battery life horrible,  but great for security,  motion....

• 10 months later...
On 1/9/2019 at 9:57 PM, thegreatheed said:

Everyone is overthinking this.

If you can wire to an IOX/controller, use a cheap, wired PIR motion sensor. About $20 each.

Get them at google, amazon, any alarm store, etc.

Hi there - Do you (or anyone) know how to technically do this?  I thought this was possible when I did my house refit, and installed the following in the ceilings of all my rooms: https://www.amazon.co.uk/ELKAY-374B-1-Ceiling-Occupancy-Sensor/dp/B01N2AW78O.  I even bought a bunch of Arduino Nano chips so I had enough input/outputs

But my installer said that the sensors will not work as (I think) he said "they only switch on/off rather than sending the required signal".  Can't remember exact explanation.  

I'm keen to know if it really is possible to install these, and whether my installer just hasn't done this himself so not aware.

Thanks

Those are line voltage sensors. Specs I found say 220-240vac

To do what you’re asking about you’d want to use low voltage sensors. So typically say 24vdc sensors with a power supply to power them. When the sensors sense motion, they’ll send voltage back to the IO input. Then you program off that. 

To use your sensors you’d have to power them all with line voltage, then have the line voltage output run to a relay that accepts 240v input power to switch. Then run your Low voltage wiring through that. 

Considerably more material and different wiring requirements. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.