C4 Forums | Control4

Buoy Home water meter and water shutoff

I just had an amazing new whole home water shutoff and water meter installed last week.  It called a buoy https://www.buoy.ai/

The unit installs at the main incoming line and is able to categorize water usage (toliet, sink, irrigation, shower etc) and send alerts if it detects a leak.  You can then shut off the water using your phone app.  I thought it would be really cool if we could get a control4 driver to make announcements or trigger events based off of water usage.  Also adding water detectors would add an additional layer of protection.

14 hours ago, digitaltrader said:

Buoy can detect the difference between a toilet flush and the sink running.

Looks like Phyn and Buoy are pretty similar. Phyn is a partnership with Belkin (wemo) and Uponor and I think you can only have it installed by one of their installers.

I really like the geek factor if these things, but I wonder about the value. My local city can monitor the water meters in a similar way and can detect small leaks down stream from the meter. This is helpful for many here because it seems folks have lawn irrigation systems between the home and the water meter. The city is not going to alert you on a leak in your water filter that just happened though...

I have been trying to find any product with a water shut-off valve which work in the U.K. which works with Control4 - I have looked at the websites for the five mentioned above and have contacted Damit and Watercop but none of them serve the U.K. market. It is a fairly straight forward and not expensive process to have the valve tested and approved for the U.K. and nothing else would need to change so I don’t understand why none of these companies have done it.

• 2 months later...
8 hours ago, bdo21 said:

Grohe have a solution which I had not seen before.  It works with Nest so does this mean someone could also integrate it into Control4 (I don't have any Nest equipment)?

https://www.grohe.co.uk/en_gb/smarthome/grohe-sense-guard/

Thanks. I hadn't seen that one. I did some google-fu and found an amusing PPT deck on the backend platform with the following statement:

image.thumb.png.fd6a23f7f81d0cd9fcd3cf7471bcf95a.png

I like cool features just like the other guy, but because I am in the data business I'm actually more inclined to use stupid products or products that don't leak data off-prem. Not to say I wouldn't give up some privacy or embrace being the product where it's a fair trade. But turning off my water when there is a leak is not really in that ballpark. With a device like this you can infer quite a bit of behavior and occupancy. 

Seems expensive if you need an annual subscription on top of purchase:

Buoy Annual Subscription ($17.99/mo)

Buoy Labs

$215.88

Ongoing access to the Buoy data service, including:

• Detailed, real-time overview of your water use
  • Leak alerts sent to your phone
  • Remote and automatic water shutoff to prevent leak damage
  • Call a plumber on demand (in most areas)

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
On 8/24/2018 at 11:06 PM, Pounce said:

Thanks. I hadn't seen that one. I did some google-fu and found an amusing PPT deck on the backend platform with the following statement:

image.thumb.png.fd6a23f7f81d0cd9fcd3cf7471bcf95a.png

I like cool features just like the other guy, but because I am in the data business I'm actually more inclined to use stupid products or products that don't leak data off-prem. Not to say I wouldn't give up some privacy or embrace being the product where it's a fair trade. But turning off my water when there is a leak is not really in that ballpark. With a device like this you can infer quite a bit of behavior and occupancy. 

I have the Grohe Sense Guard. Were you able to find a way to integrate it with Control4? 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.