C4 Forums | Control4

Change IP address

I recently switched IP addresses and didn’t realize it would shut down my system.  The person that installed it 3 years ago is not in business and i contacted 2 local sources that were 2-3 weeks out.

can I pay someone here to change my opinion address remotely ASAP 

There's likely more to it than that. We run into this quite regularly. Client buys a new house and changes ISP or simply decides to change ISP in current house. New ISP often means new Class C IP address scheme, assuming ISP router is used and not a more mission appropriate router. 

Often equipment was set up several years ago and static IP addresses were used for key components e.g. controller, touchscreens and so on. We also often see static addresses for amplifiers and similar gear even though there is no good reason to do so.

So the customer changes ISP's or IP address schemes and everything stops working.

Easiest way to fix it by far is to revert to old IP address scheme and then get a dealer to change the equipment from static to DHCP addresses. Then change IP address scheme if necessary to new scheme. And then change IP address of controller to static and possibly some other limited equipment. 

If it's not possible to revert to old IP scheme, then you have to go to each affected Control4 component and do a network reset to set it to DHCP - different sequences depending on the component. 

All of the above can be done remotely with the "right" customer with networking chops. 

Hah. I thought I was responding to a private message. I was originally PM'ed and got confused with this post and the PM. Need to lay off the vacation drinks or refrain from posting until another day...

1 hour ago, Kevin999 said:

I don’t believe reverting back is possible I switched from centurylink to a new provider due to poor speeds.  Do you know anyone on the board that can do this remotely?

You don't have to switch back to the old ISP, just update your new ISP  modem / router to use the old IP addressing scheme. Or this is a good opportunity to buy a "proper" router, set it to the old IP addressing scheme and you should be back in business. 

26 minutes ago, dcovach said:

Hah. I almost spit my drank out my nose...  I'll be Hans solo...

Hans Solo was not a Jedi unfortunately. I recommend role modelling on a Padawan.

Thank you all so much and thank you so much Neil Blasingmae for jumping on this on short notice.  Not only getting me back up but also correcting items that weren’t correct and updating my system.  Great service, great price HIGHLY recommend 

54 minutes ago, Kevin999 said:

Thank you all so much and thank you so much Neil Blasingmae for jumping on this on short notice.  Not only getting me back up but also correcting items that weren’t correct and updating my system.  Great service, great price HIGHLY recommend 

Glad you’re back on track.  Stay cool in AZ.

Archived