C4 Forums | Control4

Migrating from EA-1 to HC-800?

As the EA-1 is a meant for a 1 controller project only, I was wondering whether it is ever possible to Migrate an EA-1 based project to something else, like a HC-800 or EA-3?

The limitation I assume is that the second controller to be migrated to, cannot be added to the system, based on the fact that an EA-1 can be the only controller allowed on that system?

Thoughts & advise please.

EA-1 to HC800 doesn't make that much sense as the HC800 is EOL.
If your system isn't slow then I would not change the EA-1, use it as longs as it is up for the project. I did change my CH250 to a HC800 after CPU usage was like 50+% most of the time and RAM was almost maxed out.

EDIT:
I am not aware of a limitation to just 1 controller for the EA-1 - if that is true I would get an EA-3 and use the "Old" EA-1 elswhere in the project

Problem is that I was looking for an Onscreen display in the main TV room & in addition wanted an Audio feed from Control4 system also into the Surround Sound Amplifier in the same room.

So I was thinking of HC-800 to replace the EA-1 for the whole house as it is still a good controller.

Then reuse the EA-1 in the Main TV room, to supply Onscreen Navigator to the TV, Audio in for this Audio Zones Surround Receiver & local IR/Serial for devices.

However, question is, would it be possible to use Migrate Wizard to do this from an EA-1?

Or

Does existing EA-1 project have to be downloaded to HC-800, then everything like IP & Zigbee etc have to be re-identified once again?

Mhh. I'm not sure the migration wizard could be used due to the reasons you stated. That said, you can simply load the project on the HC800/EA3 - (make sure you clear it off the EA1 just in case. THEN add the HC800 and ID.

And no you will NOT have to re-id everything at all.

Oh and yes, EA-1 cannot be a  master for other controllers.

I don't think the migration wizard will work for that, but I could be wrong.

Either way, backup your project.  Create a new project with just the HC800, identify it, register it, etc.

Load your project backup to the HC800.  From there you will have to add the HC800 driver into the project and identify it.

Open system manager and make sure director is disabled on the ea1.

If you need to, recreate your zigbee mesh to the way you want it.

Oops: forgot to add clear project on Ea1, like said above

2 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Either way, backup your project.  Create a new project with just the HC800, identify it, register it, etc.

You wouldn't have to do this unless the controller is on a much older system version

Archived