C4 Forums | Control4

SnapAV media over IP

knowitall

5 hours ago, videostorm said:

Looks more like they are copying jap.  This isn't h.264/h.265 compression.  Another one using the mjpeg chipsets. 

I have some pretty good information that J+P hasn't used MJPEG since the 1g product, and owns their own chipsets, encoder (similar to h264), etc. So I'd be kind of curious if you have any information otherwise.

Well actually they ordered it and a 4x6 setup came in today and it is working on the test bench. Video, routing, and IR control of sources/displays are solid. Will be happy to dig our heels in deeper and play with CEC and text overlays next. OVRC support will be nice for troubleshooting

On 7/12/2018 at 6:31 PM, thecodeman said:

I have some pretty good information that J+P hasn't used MJPEG since the 1g product, and owns their own chipsets, encoder (similar to h264), etc. So I'd be kind of curious if you have any information otherwise.

Network video systems can be grouped into two categories:

1. Systems that use a proprietary (ie, non-standard) cut down 2D video codecs.  There are lots of copycats using the same chips, each of them tweak the firmware a bit to make sure their systems only work with their own equipment.  These systems are characterized by high data rates, the required use of VLANS or dedicated networks, and lowest latency.  The actual video compression is non standard, so you can't make any claims about its specific performance.  However, it is accurate to state that they have a lot in common with MJPEG / JPEG2000.  
  2. Systems that use industry standard H264 and/or H265 or other video codecs.  H264/H265 are industry standards for the best video compression that is inter-operable between all modern video equipment.  These systems are characterized by moderate data rates, standard networks, and inter-operability.  In some cases (like NetPlay), they support the option of using standard consumer or professional video hardware instead of expensive single function proprietary black boxes.    

The Snap system here is category 1.  NetPlay is category 2.  Different systems each with their own advantages / disadvantages.

18 hours ago, videostorm said:

Network video systems can be grouped into two categories:

1. Systems that use a proprietary (ie, non-standard) cut down 2D video codecs.  There are lots of copycats using the same chips, each of them tweak the firmware a bit to make sure their systems only work with their own equipment.  These systems are characterized by high data rates, the required use of VLANS or dedicated networks, and lowest latency.  The actual video compression is non standard, so you can't make any claims about its specific performance.  However, it is accurate to state that they have a lot in common with MJPEG / JPEG2000.  
  2. Systems that use industry standard H264 and/or H265 or other video codecs.  H264/H265 are industry standards for the best video compression that is inter-operable between all modern video equipment.  These systems are characterized by moderate data rates, standard networks, and inter-operability.  In some cases (like NetPlay), they support the option of using standard consumer or professional video hardware instead of expensive single function proprietary black boxes.    

The Snap system here is category 1.  NetPlay is category 2.  Different systems each with their own advantages / disadvantages.

Excuse my ignorance, but will either do 4K HDR 4:4:4 and Dolby Vision?

18 minutes ago, South Africa C4 user said:

Excuse my ignorance, but will either do 4K HDR 4:4:4 and Dolby Vision?

Most newer systems will do 4K HDR.   4:4:4 is a HDMI format, not something that is used when distributing video (practically all video is 4:2:0 when broadcast).  System can claim to accept and regurgitate 4:4:4 hdmi, but internally it is redundant and never used (nor should it be).

Just check the specs to see if it will carry Dolby Vision (some do).  If they do carry it, they also need to be able to down convert it to be practical in a matrix system.

VS doesn't do Dolby Vision. It's not in the spec for MoIP. I actually haven't seen one of these types of systems support Dolby Vision. I'd be interested in locating even one that does. Maybe my google fu is broken.

• 3 months later...

Atlona's OmniStream R-Type does HDR10 and HLG (types of HDR reproduction) out of the box.  They have a "to be released" software paid upgrade to the system to accept Dolby Vision.

I am looking for some more practical comparisons of the Atlona OmniStream R-Type (residential) vs. SnapAV's Binary MoIP.

One of the main differences I can see is that Atlona will do 4k HDR @ 60Hz while the Binary will only do 4k HDR @ 30hz.  I don't care about gaming, but sports may be a consideration.  I am aware that even the best sports broadcasts (DirectTV for example) are 4k SDR currently, HOWEVER, it is widely known that DirectTV has indicated that they plan on providing sports broadcasts in 4k HDR (including through DirectTV Now - their online/internet video), so 4k HDR @ 60hz would be a consideration.  Also I believe that some Blu-Ray content may be at 4k HDR 60hz (perhaps I am mistaken on this since I am aware that most film content is 24hz/frames).

Looking for real-world comparisons and anyone who has seen both systems in action.

Also concerned about being able to strip off 2-channel audio to feed a whole-house audio matrix - Binary only lets you do that IF and when 2ch audio is present at the source (Transmitter).  Atlona makes you purchase a separate unit that extracts the audio from the IP stream I believe.

On the subject of Dolby Vision, the new Fire Stick 4K just released supports it.  So now when using this device as your NetPlayTV decoder, you will have Dolby vision on any streaming or movie source that supports it (not many yet, but eventually...).   There aren't yet any HDMI encoders with Dolby Vision, but then again broadcast will likely never use it so kind of a non-issue as far as NetPlay is concerned.

A good example of why our upgrade-ability rocks.  Want the latest formats?  Just swap out one of your decoders and DONE.  The new formats always arrive in streaming or movies.  Broadcast is way behind (extra bandwidth costs them $$$).

Archived