C4 Forums | Control4

Testing nest hello doorbell

sonic30101

Picked up a nest hello, an elk930 and elk924 to wire it into my hc250 and am playing around before buttoning it up neatly

Programing accomplishes

If the family room is on> pauses the source, takes a snapshot of the active source, switches to the nvidia shield, launches the nest app with kodi full driver, plays an announcement in the speakers with voice genie driver. 

Then press cancel on the remote and it reverts to the source that was playing before the button press and presses play

Button press and motion via IFTTT turns foyer and front porch lights on for 5 minutes

20180714_095513.jpg

https://www.dropbox.com/s/gvey0uqltxbdp3p/20180714_125423.mp4?dl=0

11 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

The 924 gives the proper relay output from the 930 into c4. Next will be adding a Google assistant resume command so you can toggle back without touching the remote. As well as a do not disturb custom button/experience button

Good stuff.  I used ran the 2 wires out of the 930 into the closest contact sensor (12v and sig).  The C4 contact sensor does close on a doorbell press so I can program any action.

19 minutes ago, dcovach said:

Good stuff.  I used ran the 2 wires out of the 930 into the closest contact sensor (12v and sig).  The C4 contact sensor does close on a doorbell press so I can program any action.

Yeah I believe if it goes into a controller you need the 924, if you go into a zigbee sensor you dont

5 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

Yeah I believe if it goes into a controller you need the 924, if you go into a zigbee sensor you dont

I should have been more specific. I wired the output wires of the 930 straight into one of the ea5 contact sensors.  It works. I've never used an elk924 yet but it looks useful for some applications. I'm not sure if you need it for your setup

Well I changed things up a bit. Before I got the video doorbell, the regular button triggered: the announcement, popup message on all xfinity cable boxes and kodi boxes. So I kinda went back to that and added another layer.

Now the video doorbell does the popups and announcements, engages a 30 second timer that while running if i press the # button on the remote while it is running> pauses the source, takes a snapshot of the active source, switches to the nvidia shield, launches the nest app with kodi full driver

Then press cancel on the remote and it reverts to the source that was playing before the button press and presses play

Also there are google assistant commands to pull up the camera as well as revert the snapshot if a remote is not in reach

Question - Newbie on this forum.

With this method is it possible to take the Hello Doorstation and make an announcement through the audio/matrix speakers when someone presses the chime button?   I get the sense from this thread that "yes" you can and "more" but I just wanted to confirm that as I'm not trying to pause an existing event such as watching TV / Movie.    So if "yes" then all I would require is an elk930 and 924 to connect into an EA processor to take the "button press and motion" to chime the house and turn on the front lights.  Or have I completely misunderstood what is going on here?  Thank you for your response in advance.

If I'm not mistaken - 110v - Doorbell Transformer  - Doorstation    The elk 930/924 connection into doorbell transformer.

- A/V System Designer-  

-Attempting TO NOT over promise and under delivering by doing some research-  

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, you could take the button press into the controller and program whatever you want. The motion would be through IFTTT and Alan's driver which I do have working as well. It turns the lights on pretty much at the same time the native app shows the motion notification, there is no real latency there.

Playing an announcement would be no issue with either the button press or the IFTTT motion trigger, whether that is a pre-set wav file or using the advanced announcement or voice genie drivers. Make sure to use a 24v transformer and put the elk parts before the supplied resistor/step down adapter that comes with the doorbell otherwise you get fluctuations at 16v and false button presses

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, bertories said:

do you have a better picture or a wiring diagram? i don't see where the power, and ring are hooked up. Also do you have a chime in this setup? 

I will post this tonight if I get a chance. I killed the chime because the dogs would wake the kids during a nap and use announcements through the speakers with the voice genie driver and they havent figured out that it means someone is at the door yet

1 hour ago, sonic30101 said:

I will post this tonight if I get a chance. I killed the chime because the dogs would wake the kids during a nap and use announcements through the speakers with the voice genie driver and they havent figured out that it means someone is at the door yet

The Voice Genie driver is one of the best drivers for C4. It’s really awesome. 

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

After some messing around. I figured out that when the nest doorbell goes into IR night mode. The elk parts see the voltage fluctuations as button presses and they go nuts. So I took then out and used a recessed magnetic door sensor and glued it inside the door chime against the electric coil that moves the pushrod into the strike plate and wired it into the contact input of my controller. Works like a champ. Also replaced the metal strike plate query a strip of ABS plastic so the dogs dont go nuts

• 3 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

how is the nest holding up in terms of video and audio quality? All of these cloud based wireless doorbell cameras just always seem to fall flat on their face and actually communicating with people through the thing.

Works great, we put in a lot of ring doorbells and wifi can be a bit finicky but when we install the nest hello they tend to work a lot better. Plus I can launch the nest app on sony tvs via IP control

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/24/2019 at 4:20 PM, sonic30101 said:

Works great, we put in a lot of ring doorbells and wifi can be a bit finicky but when we install the nest hello they tend to work a lot better. Plus I can launch the nest app on sony tvs via IP control

HI, can you supply a wiring diagram how you did this as I can't seem to get it working, I don't have the 924 but I do use the 930. Thanks!

Lately I have been gluing a magnetic door contact sensors inside the chime box against the electromagnetic coil and it picks up the button press. You can also pull the strike plates out that the plunger hits and put in a small piece of plastic so it doesn't go flying then do an announcement over the speakers

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.