C4 Forums | Control4

Multiple audio paths

livitup

I have a case where there are multiple audio paths for a single video source and I'd like to be able to control which one is used.

In 4 locations there are TVs with DACs hooked up to the TV's optical output, and then wired to inputs on the audio matrix.  The purpose for the DACs is to get audio from the TV's smart apps back into the whole-home audio system (aka the audio matrix).  There is also a Leaf downmixing video matrix in the system, with the audio extracted from the HDMI outputs and fed into the audio matrix.

When a TV is playing a source from the Video Matrix, for example a DirecTV receiver, there are two valid paths for the audio: 

• The HDMI output of the video matrix -> HDMI input of the TV -> Optical output of the TV -> DAC -> Audio matrix input -> Audio matrix output -> amp/speakers
  • The audio output of the video matrix -> the audio input of the audio matrix -> Audio matrix output -> amp/speakers

Both are valid paths, and I wasn't even aware that the system was choosing the first path until one of the DACs went out.  While I wait for a replacement, I'd like to switch to the second path - an honestly probably change all 4 affected TVs to use that path going forward as it just seems smarter.

Is there any way to force Control4 to chose one path over the other when both are valid? I haven't been able to find one. I can double click on the audio matrix and bring up the window where I can manually pick inputs and outputs, and I've verified both are working paths (save the TV with the dead DAC), but I can't find a way to "prefer" one path over another.

Archived