C4 Forums | Control4

6 wire intercom upgrade

I have an old m&s 6 wire non twisted/shielded analog whole house intercom with multiple stations and several doorbells. The unit works fine but it’s time to at least get a better video doorbell solution and maybe reduce the footprint of the MASSIVE home station in our kitchen that is getting remodeled. All of the room stations are 6 wire and in this house it is cost prohibited to run cat5 to each of them.  Ideas?

There are converters available that will use ANY pair of wires to get you at least 100Mb speed and POE power.

However, I believe those older intercoms all ran back to the main station, correct?  So that would be the huge ugly box in the kitchen?

You'd have to figure out how to hide all those adapters, power supplies, etc.  Although, not pretty, TV Inwall boxes or even structured wiring panels can hold a lot stuff when laid out properly.  Then you can cover over it with some art work or a picture, etc.

8 hours ago, lippavisual said:

There are converters available that will use ANY pair of wires to get you at least 100Mb speed and POE power.

However, I believe those older intercoms all ran back to the main station, correct?  So that would be the huge ugly box in the kitchen?

You'd have to figure out how to hide all those adapters, power supplies, etc.  Although, not pretty, TV Inwall boxes or even structured wiring panels can hold a lot stuff when laid out properly.  Then you can cover over it with some art work or a picture, etc.

Any links to such a converter? I really don't need video at any of the room stations. If there was a c4 integrated intercom that used analog out to the room stations instead of an IP protocol but used IP for the video doorbell, that would be a good solution but doubt such a thing exists. I can hide some equipment in a closet directly on the other side of that main base station wall. 

Here’s an example.

https://www.doorbird.com/downloads/datasheet_a1071_en.pdf

unfortunately, C4 doesn’t have a voice only intercom solution.  Well, technically they do if you kill the camera on the touchscreens.  TS’s are the only way they do intercom anyways. If voice is all you want, then you can look at Russound Compoint. I find that one to be the best looking.

Archived