C4 Forums | Control4

My DS2 mini has been “ringing” randomly once very couple of days over the last few weeks.  I am never at home when this happens so I don’t even know if it is actually ringing or whether all that is happening is that the “on-ring” code is executing and I am getting a push notification and an email with a snapshot showing no-one at the door. 

I am 99% sure that I don’t have any wonky programming...

Looking back through my emails, this appears to have started happening at the same time as my system was upgraded to the latest OS (2.10.2 - I think).  That makes me suspicious that this may be a bug.

@Derrick Cain - is this a known bug? 

Has anyone else experienced this issue? Would love to know that I am not alone 😶

On 7/25/2018 at 7:37 PM, Derrick Cain said:

It does not look like a known issue.  Do you know the Driver version you're on?  I can check against that.

Driver version 224

Firmware 2.19.5.28.12

Interestingly, my dealer rebooted the DS2 mini yesterday and I have not had a “fake” ring in 30 hours. Probably the longest run without a fake ring in a few weeks... so may be fixed... but weird!

• 1 month later...

I am continuing to have a problem here but have narrowed it down a bit further and hope someone can help me.

The problem is not as originally described but rather with the snapshot photo being emailed.  In short, the DS2 works perfectly for a couple of weeks and then starts to give problems until I reboot everything.  The problem experienced (and it is not random - once the problem starts, it happens all of the time until I do a reboot) is that when someone pushes the button, a snapshot is sent but the photo shows no one at the gate... as I assume that the camera can not make someone invisible, my guess is that it is sending an out of date snapshot... I have not been able to figure out if this is a static photo that keeps being sent or if it is simply a snapshot from a few minutes earlier before the person ringing the bell got to the gate...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  As soon as I reboot everything works perfectly for a couple of weeks...

I am going to look into it now and see if this is known or if we can reproduce it.   There's also a new feature in the driver that could have thrown this off. 

image.png.8aa06503907b8588d188543951714fb8.png

Snapshots Timespan(s)
This configures how far back in seconds the DS2 will start taking snapshots. The DS2 will take (Number of Snapshots) snapshots evenly spaced apart starting (Snapshots Timespan(s)) seconds ago up to when the email was sent. Note that snapshots cannot be taken more than once per second. Example: If Number of Snapshots is 5 and Snapshots Timespan (s) is 20 seconds then you will get snapshots at 20, 15, 10, 5, and 0 seconds.

3 hours ago, Derrick Cain said:

I am going to look into it now and see if this is known or if we can reproduce it.   There's also a new feature in the driver that could have thrown this off. 

Snapshots Timespan(s)
This configures how far back in seconds the DS2 will start taking snapshots. The DS2 will take (Number of Snapshots) snapshots evenly spaced apart starting (Snapshots Timespan(s)) seconds ago up to when the email was sent. Note that snapshots cannot be taken more than once per second. Example: If Number of Snapshots is 5 and Snapshots Timespan (s) is 20 seconds then you will get snapshots at 20, 15, 10, 5, and 0 seconds.

Thanks Derrick, I’ll play with these settings before doing my next “reboot” to fix my problem.

What I can say on my system is that this is not a random problem... it takes a couple of weeks to start happening and once it starts to happen it happens every single time the doorbell is pushed!

Please do let us us know if you find anything!

On 9/18/2018 at 9:52 PM, Gary Leeds UK said:

We have motion sensor set - which we get a few false alarms (100 emails today but that's UK weather - Sun in sun out)

But will keep a eye on - However we reboot every week now

Thanks Gary, I have no doubt that if I follow your lead and do a weekly reboot, I’ll never see this problem...

22 hours ago, Derrick Cain said:

Snapshots Timespan(s)

I suspect the problem may be related to these settings (or a bug that appeared when this feature was added - I have had his problem since July) as I have been able to confirm that the snapshot I get is from around 10 or 20 seconds before the button is pressed... I am holding of doing a reboot (which I know from history will fix this for a couple of weeks) so that I can play about and investigate a bit further.

• 3 weeks later...
1 minute ago, Blaise said:

Any of you find a solution for this problem? I have the same issue

As an aside, how do you reboot? Is there a way to do it through composer HE, or do I need to physically reset the power on the EA-5?

I am still experiencing the problem.  Last time I fixed it by setting the snapshot timespan parameter referred to by @Derrick Cain to 0 (it was already 0, I simply edited it and set it to 0 again) and rebooted the DS2 mini.  This worked... next time, I will try resetting the parameter only...

There is a free houselogix driver that allows you to programmatically reboot the EA5 (Director).  Some other drivers (Annex 4, Mitch’s renamer driver - I think, etc.) also have this option.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, C4 Lover said:

@South Africa C4 user I am having the exact same problem.  Are you suggesting in your last post that the fix is to adjust the snapshot timespan?

That is what I was suggesting may work but it didn’t - sadly.  That said, the problem has gone away (or only happens after a month or more - I now do a full system reboot once a month so would. To pick up this sort of issue if it takes longer than a month to rear it’s head) on the latest firmware / OS (2.10.5) and driver.

When I still had the problem,  the only 2 ways I found to fix it were:

1. Director reboot, or

2. DS2 reboot.

• 2 months later...
On 9/18/2018 at 7:58 AM, South Africa C4 user said:

I am continuing to have a problem here but have narrowed it down a bit further and hope someone can help me.

The problem is not as originally described but rather with the snapshot photo being emailed.  In short, the DS2 works perfectly for a couple of weeks and then starts to give problems until I reboot everything.  The problem experienced (and it is not random - once the problem starts, it happens all of the time until I do a reboot) is that when someone pushes the button, a snapshot is sent but the photo shows no one at the gate... as I assume that the camera can not make someone invisible, my guess is that it is sending an out of date snapshot... I have not been able to figure out if this is a static photo that keeps being sent or if it is simply a snapshot from a few minutes earlier before the person ringing the bell got to the gate...

Any suggestions would be appreciated.  As soon as I reboot everything works perfectly for a couple of weeks...

I’m having same issue. Needs reboot every two weeks or so otherwise I get pictures without people forever!

2 hours ago, penn65000 said:

Any solutions? Tired of rebooting every two weeks!

The latest versions of the Driver and firmware combined with OS2.10.5 fixed my problem (or, at least, extended the 2 weeks - I tend to have a Re-boot at least once a month so might not notice the issue if it was less frequent).

Archived