C4 Forums | Control4

Audio Volume ramp

I am trying to program the + / - Volume Up/Volume down to start ramping the audio faster when pressed and hold. SO obvious in nowadays.

However everything I had tried dosnt work

Startling from Room event /Commands/Volume up/Down

When selecting Pulse , each press of the Volume Up/Down key can program the Room/Current Volume/variable to set to Current Volume+ 5 ( FoR EXAMPLE). Bu this is not what I need.

When I try to programm the Room event /Commands/Volume up/Down - Start or Stop action to setup variable "LongPressVolumeUp"and then  to use this variable to ramp the Curent Volume nothing nhappens, it works only once and then the ramp is as before.

image.png.0cdb40205bb08ed8216f7f2606ece28d.png

Any idea what is wrong, or how should I go further?

6 hours ago, Margarit said:

SO obvious in nowadays.

...not obvious at all actually, not sure what you really are trying to achieve.

What is the actual PROBLEM you have that makes you want to 'speed up the volume ramping' - because there really shouldn't be a need to do it in the first place. Right now it looks as if you are trying to patch an underlying issue.

But What you have there is is only good to be deleted before you either freeze up your system, or wreck an amp or speakers.

Dear Cyknight

The problem with the volume ramp is- the customer is not happy with the standard function, and I think he has right.

- We have installed an AMS16 with EA5.

- In room with Remote Control SR260 the Volupoe UP/Down keys are working very slow (1-100 scale, step 1).

- There is no visual feedback

- There is no setting in the controller , Composer, AMS16 to increase the ramp step/speed

So, for long time after pressing the keys you dont have any feedback if something happens or not.

This is confusing for the user. I agree with him

So, that is why I am trying to programm some solution for two ramp speeds ,

1. -  push/release VolumeUp/Down key for standard ramp build in the controller,

and

2. -second push and hold key for  fast ramp.

So, I would appreciate if you can help.

If you can't - just ......

p.s.  I am not expireinced programmer, that is why I have asked the comunity.

p.s.  Dont worry about my speakers/amps. I have a lot.

But what you're doing isn't necessary.

Your best bet is to set a default volume for the room.  Don't use the built-in default volume in Composer because that will change anytime you select a new source from Watch/Listen.  Best to set default volume when room is turned on, this way audio or video doesn't matter.  Room Control driver helps with this and makes it easier.

Second, if they want to see the volume, sell them a T3!!

The ramping speed of the AMS16 is perfectly adequate.  Press and hold responds plenty fast IMO.

Also, sounds like expectations weren't set out from the get go or the wrong products were used for the desires.

13 hours ago, lippavisual said:

But what you're doing isn't necessary.

Exactly. Once set, it's is generally completely unneeded to even ramp more than 20-30% in volume range in daily use cases. Oh and normal press and hold (vs 'tapping') will ramp volume by ~20% in 4 seconds.

I wonder if part of the issue is that different audio sources have different volumes - I would look THERE for the cause of this 'annoyance'. the AMS has source leveling options built in to help with that, but also look at the sources themselves, try and figure out WHY some are so low and potentially fix if possible.

21 hours ago, Margarit said:

So, I would appreciate if you can help.

If you can't - just ......

Just because you don't like my first response doesn't mean I'm not helping. As mentioned, what you're seeking to do is not really feasible, but more importantly, it shouldn't be needed to begin with - therefor I asked for more details of the actual problem and/or setup.

Archived