C4 Forums | Control4

PSA: All FireTV's using the Control4 Driver are about to break

msgreenf

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, crazybuppie said:

Is it really going to break? 

The article says you will be prompted on screen and can check the box to always allow ADB connections from that "PC". Wouldn't a one-time "allow" keep the device working?

yes. The control4 driver can't handle this.  Yes, it's broken.  I have one box that is updated and it's now broken

Just now, msgreenf said:

yes. The control4 driver can't handle this.  Yes, it's broken.  I have one box that is updated and it's now broken

so pressing "OK" via the Amazon remote one time does not keep the C4 driver working? thats crazy.

i stand corrected.

12 minutes ago, crazybuppie said:

so pressing "OK" via the Amazon remote one time does not keep the C4 driver working? thats crazy.

i stand corrected.

Control4 driver doesn't know how to properly request ADB authorization or save the key....

Im not a linux guy and I don't understand how the communication/commands work but why is it not possible to create an "app" that would kind of open a "server" and listen to a port to receive commands from a C4 driver.

Example: If you install Kodi on a brand new Fire TV and enable remote commands (something like that.. dont remember exactly), you are able to control Kodi from a mobile app, cant you? 

Or if you install a VNC server, couldnt a driver send simple directional/enter/menu commands?

Anyway, I hope amazon allows C4 to build a certified driver for the new units in the future. It seems like lots of people like the amazon fire tv.

2 minutes ago, mallom said:

Im not a linux guy and I don't understand how the communication/commands work but why is it not possible to create an "app" that would kind of open a "server" and listen to a port to receive commands from a C4 driver.

isn't this what IR USB does?

Just now, zaphod said:

In theory it would be a lot nicer if you had an app that would allow two way communications, etc.  IR is such an Amish way of controlling things (no offense to the Amish).

Thats what I am thinking... If you install Kodi it would provide 2way communication to Kodi apps on your phone.
Why cant the same principle be applied to provide standard control of a fire tv? 

Just now, msgreenf said:

yes it is

Cool. But it kinda sucks that you have to buy extra hardware to make it work. Does the app works without the IRUSB piece? Not sure.. I dont think so.
Its a great solution for those who really need it working now... but still... why cant an android app provide communication to a C4 driver?

Just now, mallom said:

Cool. But it kinda sucks that you have to buy extra hardware to make it work. Does the app works without the IRUSB piece? Not sure.. I dont think so.
Its a great solution for those who really need it working now... but still... why cant an android app provide communication to a C4 driver?

no it does not, hardware required.

Somebody should really come up with a standard API that allows apps on devices like FireTVs, AndroidTVs, etc to be simply controlled via an HTTP GET, once authenticated.  Something like 

http://192.168.1.186/firetvapi?app=kodi&command=play

Just now, zaphod said:

Somebody should really come up with a standard API that allows apps on devices like FireTVs, AndroidTVs, etc to be simply controlled via an HTTP GET, once authenticated.  Something like 

http://192.168.1.186/firetvapi?app=kodi&command=play

sounds like a job for amazon...

1 minute ago, msgreenf said:

sounds like a job for amazon...

Yes, and Google - for AndroidTV, and Apple for Apple TV.  This is generally much more doable when the device is a PC but a HTPC also has a bunch of downsides.

Just now, zaphod said:

Yes, and Google - for AndroidTV, and Apple for Apple TV.  This is generally much more doable when the device is a PC but a HTPC also has a bunch of downsides.

except this thread is about FIreTV...so not relevant what Google or Apple need to do

Archived