C4 Forums | Control4

PSA: All FireTV's using the Control4 Driver are about to break

msgreenf

The Amazon update was done to secure their platform against malware.  It was first done on all the new products, then rolled out to the older products once they got around to it.  Sorry, no conspiracies 😊

Security in Android in general has been getting tighter with every release.  All the major players are committed to making sure that every control interface is properly protected via encryption and/or Android user permissions.

ADB itself was never intended for device remote control.  Even when it is used properly, it is very slow for key commands.

IRUSB is a good long term solution to control all your Android devices.  It is basically an IP controlled keyboard device (with additional functionality provided by our app).  It uses Android user permissions properly and should continue to work in future Android versions/updates.

Also, IRUSB does NOT use IR to control the Android device (FireTV, etc).  It is a full 2 way IP interface, and very fast (with mini drivers, app launching, etc).  In C4, the IR part of IRUSB is actually a fully supported IR extender to control something else (like the TV).  You are getting two functions in one product.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well I have my Kodi set up with my library for music and movies and tv shows, etc and I am happy with the AFT interface.  I also like that my AFT is hard wired and a Roku that is hard wired is $100.  So cheaper to buy the dongle and just move on.  So thanks for the blunt recommendation but does not really suit my usage.   YMMV

Hear ya. I respect that. My wife would kill me if I changed all the GUIs in the house...so there is a huge value to continuity. Ha

For what it's worth, I've done one of the IR/USB modules, and they do work well.  Setup is very quick, and yeah, it kind of sucks to spend the extra money to control something you already had control over, but it does work well.  

I see that there are free drivers from VS to use with C4 and Chowmain has paid ones.

What functions do the Chowmain drivers provide that the free ones don't?

I'm expecting VS is going to see a spike in IRUSB sales ... ;)

5 hours ago, videostorm said:

Also, IRUSB does NOT use IR to control the Android device (FireTV, etc).  It is a full 2 way IP interface, and very fast (with mini drivers, app launching, etc).  In C4, the IR part of IRUSB is actually a fully supported IR extender to control something else (like the TV).  You are getting two functions in one product.

If you mean the IR is actually addressable from within Composer you should make a much bigger point of that, that's pretty neat and I don't see it mentioned on your website product page at all.

3 hours ago, Cyknight said:

The Chowmain drivers are specific to Plex and Kodi, they are just built to allow using the IRUSB to launch these apps directly and properly as needed.

This isn’t entirely true.  Our Kodi full driver supports the irusb however we also have a dedicated IRUSB driver.  The main differences are

• specific amazon fire tv, nvidia shield, Foxtel now, android icons

• we use our own mini driver scheme which also allows for custom ones to be built by anyone

• we have automatic room on / off for audio detection which is extremely useful for things like auto room upon google cast or google home activation.

https://www.chowmainsoft.com/irusb-control4

6 hours ago, timbooo said:

If you mean the IR is actually addressable from within Composer you should make a much bigger point of that, that's pretty neat and I don't see it mentioned on your website product page at all.

I see it mentioned. I don't think its on fire, but it clearly states that IR is controlled and local IR can be sent to network or HID. I probably agree with you that at least 1 more device would be sold if there was an in your face page that advertised bi directional IR communication for C4 programming. The world is to ADD these days. People hardly get past the first...

IRUSB features
- IP control of Android devices
- Network to IR output
- IR reception to network or HID
- Cloud integration
- USB CDC for IR
- USB HID for device control
- FREE Control4 and RTI drivers

Network to IR output is quite vague. Control4 IR extender function owtte maybe? Ok I'll up my dose of ritalin.

Anyway I'm not buying one I'll use a flirc and just use an actual C4 controller's IR out. Starting to develop an allergy to IP control of consumer devices.

5 minutes ago, msgreenf said:

Based on?

Sent from my BBF100-2 using Tapatalk

They way the wind blows and the scent of the internet. Ok, they make no money from hardware and now that they are public and are licensing their software/name etc it's only a matter of time before they have to ditch hardware to please the street.

22 minutes ago, Pounce said:

Roku's doesn't have all that much life in it. Not that it really matters, but I doubt they will continue with their own hardware much longer.

This seems like a strange comment as Roku is still the market leader.  But it will be interesting to see if an independent like Roku will survive vs the tech giants of Apple, Google and Amazon.  Same thing for Sonos, Netflix and Spotify - can they thrive as independents or will they get crushed by the big boys.

http://fortune.com/2018/05/31/internet-video-roku-apple-tv-chromcast/

Roku is in the middle of transforming from a low-margin hardware business to a margin-friendly platform with a software and services business model. Advertising represents the lion's share of this potential revenue. Other sources include fee-sharing with services and channel subscriptions offered through Roku and software licensing to TV vendors and cable providers.

Still unprofitable, Roku's took in $399 million in 2016 (up from $320 million in 2015) and lost $43 million (up from $38 million in 2015).

For now, the transition to a platform business model appears to be working. In 2016, the company received 74% of its revenue from hardware sales, with the remaining coming from its software platform. Hardware sales account for 59% of overall revenue in the first half of 2017, while the platform business grew to 41%. Advertising is the biggest earner, accounting for two-thirds of the platform business.

2 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

That verbiage just sounds like another revenue stream coming in with software.  Again, I don't see hardware going anywhere.

Google a bit and read stories from the last year.

Nothing at all special about their hardware. If they can get TV's and cable to build it in like sling etc then there is no need for them to sell hardware. I'm not really saying they are going away, just that there is no money in their hardware business. If I owned their stock I'd want them to get away from hardware if they could make money and sustain the brand without it.

Look at the TCL relationship. They are selling a ton of those low end TV's with Roku interface. 

1 minute ago, lippavisual said:

But TCL's do have Roku hardware integrated in them (board), along with their software.

I expect their consumer puck device that are stand alone Roku devices to be mostly gone at some point in the next 5 years.

Archived