C4 Forums | Control4

DS2 vs Hello vs Ring

Following. 

Tried the Doorbird D101 recently and was not impressed with the video or audio quality.  Audio would cut in/out constantly and video was very choppy.  POE connection and iOS device on 5G wifi so not sure why.  Returning the unit.

8 minutes ago, SY3 said:

Following. 

Tried the Doorbird D101 recently and was not impressed with the video or audio quality.  Audio would cut in/out constantly and video was very choppy.  POE connection and iOS device on 5G wifi so not sure why.  Returning the unit.

You probably didn’t give it enough time to update.

i have the original D101 and it is solid.  There have been a few updates to the unit that has caused me to reset comm agent, but other than that, no real issues.

i have the original D101 and it is solid.  There have been a few updates to the unit that has caused me to reset comm agent, but other than that, no real issues.

It was online for 3 weeks straight and I had DoorBird update the firmware (00112). May be I got a bad unit. Not sure. My issue was using it through its own app and not even in C4. Though I have the Annex driver and tried the DriverCentral one but trial period ran out due to firmware issues.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, lippavisual said:

Which driver are you using?

I have installed all four.

Ring was first and was great at first, but over time the video and audio go to the point where not was audible. and 1080p video reduced to less than 240.

Nest Hello same issue but right off the bat

Doorbirds have been great, but relying on cloud service it still has some pit falls

the DS2 with the intercom app has been the absolute dream. never miss a call, always able to answer the doorbell before even the ups guys leave.

5 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

I have installed all four.

Ring was first and was great at first, but over time the video and audio go to the point where not was audible. and 1080p video reduced to less than 240.

Nest Hello same issue but right off the bat

Doorbirds have been great, but relying on cloud service it still has some pit falls

the DS2 with the intercom app has been the absolute dream. never miss a call, always able to answer the doorbell before even the ups guys leave.

Does the Doorbird have to rely on cloud services?  Can't it record locally to a NAS/NVR?  What does it depend on cloud services for?

Ring and Hello rely on cloud too tho. I know ring and hello are cheapy DIY amazon market, and would probably take Hello over ring just because of my thermostat and 1 less app. 

I have a camera on the porch, but I do like the idea of motion notifications without tons or programming and/or 300 emails from the DVR when the wind blows. 

Haven’t played enough with any of them. 

Doorbird was a though but at that price why not do DS2

i guess I’m between DS2 and Hello personally. 

Isn't the cost of the DS2 around $1000?

Doorbird is $350

Nest Hello - $230  @Matt Lowe What issues did you have right off the bat?  A lot of the reviews have been very positive.  

If the DS2 was in the same price point, I'd consider it but I'd have to upgrade 3 of my older touchscreens to T3s so just to be able to talk to someone at the front door becomes very expensive ( to keep the intercom function internally).  

another consideration is aesthetics and FOV on the camera based on your installation.  My wife did not mind the DS1 but she hated the look of the DS2, the mini or one with the keypad, and I tend to agree, it was too futuristic looking for our exterior.

I have a cobbled system with a Holovision front plate tied into a 2n Helios kit.  Gives me the style my wife liked with the function we needed - 2n has a go anywhere mobile app too that calls my cell phones but it can also call tablets, computers, etc and I can see video on the c4 touchscreens in the house, etc.  Only thing I cannot do use the 2n helios app (when talking to someone) to trigger an action in c4.  But I've yet to talk to someone at the front door and felt the need to do something like unlock a door, etc.  And If I had to, I just disconnect the call, open c4 and do it.  Prefer 1 app solution, but the look of the DS2 was an issue.

Also when making comparisons look at the FOV of the camera and how you are installing it.  The holo option is a bit too narrow for my liking but it came on a swivel bracket so I can angle the camera - it slides left/right and also angles so I can get a slightly better view.  If I am not mistaken the DS2 is not movable?  If that is the case, it really needs to be a wide FOV if you are installing it next to a door.  Just my $.02.

2 hours ago, knowitall said:

@Matt Lowe

when you say audio unclear both ways or on the app? Video obviously app related. You think just too much demand for allocated server space for all the traffic? 

yea its an issue server side as it was erratic and I know i have the best network in place, even had the hardwired elite doorbell from ri

2 hours ago, SY3 said:

Isn't the cost of the DS2 around $1000?

Doorbird is $350

Nest Hello - $230  @Matt Lowe What issues did you have right off the bat?  A lot of the reviews have been very positive.  

If the DS2 was in the same price point, I'd consider it but I'd have to upgrade 3 of my older touchscreens to T3s so just to be able to talk to someone at the front door becomes very expensive ( to keep the intercom function internally).  

Same as with the ring server load times and quality. These are all streamed from clouds rather than from the device its self.

DS2 is well worth the money and i think you can still use the intercom just no video internally. you get everything on your phone.

I’m thinking about replacing my Ring with a DS2. The Ring was great at first, but now, whenever someone rings the doorbell, I have trouble connecting to it. If I do a live view any other time, it works great, but the point is being able to see through the camera when someone rings the doorbell.

One thing I like about the Ring is being able to view the video recordings if someone rings the doorbell and no one answers or if motion is detected. Can the DS2 be setup to record video to a local NAS if it detects motion or if someone rings the doorbell? I was considering buying a couple more tabletop T3s if I got the DS2, but after reading the specs of the tabletop T3, the resolution of the picture, the camera, and the WiFi are horrible. It has the same specs as my phone did 10 years ago, and Control4 doesn’t recommend using the tabletop T3 for intercom anywhere video calls because the WiFi is too slow. So, I was thinking about buying a couple of used tablets, which have much higher resolution, better camera, and wireless AC for half the price of a T3. If I upgrade to the DS2 from Ring, I want to make sure all my devices can utilize the intercom anywhere feature.

8 minutes ago, rolldog said:

I’m thinking about replacing my Ring with a DS2. The Ring was great at first, but now, whenever someone rings the doorbell, I have trouble connecting to it. If I do a live view any other time, it works great, but the point is being able to see through the camera when someone rings the doorbell.

One thing I like about the Ring is being able to view the video recordings if someone rings the doorbell and no one answers or if motion is detected. Can the DS2 be setup to record video to a local NAS if it detects motion or if someone rings the doorbell? I was considering buying a couple more tabletop T3s if I got the DS2, but after reading the specs of the tabletop T3, the resolution of the picture, the camera, and the WiFi are horrible. It has the same specs as my phone did 10 years ago, and Control4 doesn’t recommend using the tabletop T3 for intercom anywhere video calls because the WiFi is too slow. So, I was thinking about buying a couple of used tablets, which have much higher resolution, better camera, and wireless AC for half the price of a T3. If I upgrade to the DS2 from Ring, I want to make sure all my devices can utilize the intercom anywhere feature.

the t3 has wireless AC and the cameras are good quality for hte intercom function.

also you can use the intercom app on tablets.

you  can record the  ds2 to just about any NVR

The DoorBird will do everything needed locally for C4 stuff.  Their own app relies on cloud services, as does C4s intercom app, hell they all do.

recording, viewing, motion, all the same features.  The only thing I complain about doorbird is the h264 streams and not having simultaneous streams available.

the surface mount small unit is around the lower cost price range.  The in wall units are the higher cost units, but I will say that they are beautifully finished, have rfid built in, number pad available, etc. 

7 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

its old what you are looking at. all my screens use 5g on my network.

the screens are small the 720 makes little diffrence.

could be better but i have never had an issue.

I have 3 tabletop T3s and 3 in Wall T3s, but I want to buy 2 more so I can use the intercom anywhere in other rooms. The tabletop T3s I have don't have AC. As a matter of fact, they only connect to the 2.4Ghz band on my WiFi. I downloaded that data sheet off Control4 website, where they also mentioned the tabletop T3 will have trouble with video intercom calls because of the lack of a faster WiFi band. If there are tabletop T3 models that use AC, I want to get them. Can you possibly post a screenshot of where you see it connected to AC and the model of the T3 you're using? I would love to add 2 more to my system so everything can be uniform, but the 1280 x 800 screen resulution along with a 720p camera is a major drawback for me, especially compared to the price, but if you can show me that yours use 5Ghz AC, along with the model of your T3, I'll buy them tomorrow. 

Are you on that latest software it was 2.10.x that the 5g firmware was released. I'll see if I can find the documentation but I have a 10 inch table to and 2 7 inch table tops all use 5g. Even then still the intercom worked fine on 2.4. What's your network equipment like?

Archived