C4 Forums | Control4

Does the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD work with a Control 4 system?

jackwj

Question

Hi, I recently made some changes to my wireless network and was looking at mesh systems to expand my WiFi's range. I decided on the Ubiquiti Amplifi HD system, but after purchasing it my dealer told me that it is "not compatible" with my Control 4 system. I was not sure why this would be the case so I turned to this forum to ask my question. Would a Ubiquiti Amplifi HD system not work with my already existing Control 4 system?

3 answers to this question

The dealer answered in that way for 2 reasons 1) Officially, Ubiquiti is on the C4 do not use list. 2) There is a chance that in certain circumstances C4 would not work correctly on a network that contains Ubiquiti equipment. These points do not mean you will have issues, but you could. If you search the forums for Ubiquiti there are many posts, but I think I have distilled it down. 

I don't think anyone can answer 100% your last sentence. It's my understanding that the issues may come up with the network is more complex. You may not have a complex system based on the choice of Amplifi. I like Ubiquiti and run it. I would probably try to sell you on jumping up to Unifi if you wanted to give it a go. There were recent exploits that impacted Amplifi and not Unifi. That tells me there are different code bases. I would be less comfortable with a product line that has fewer customers. More customers means more focus and Unifi is used in commercial implementations and had a fairly large install base. 

The big question is whether or not you can return the Amplifi?

The next question is what does your dealer recommend, and what did you have previously -- and what did the dealer think about it?

it will work to give you access to your control4 system, however the throughput on those are not good. just installed it "supplied by customer" and in the end after hours of setup with amplifi tech support we got the best performance we could in a 2500sqft home. all said and done I went and showed the homeowner the link speeds, download speeds, total throughput they weren't happy. we placed 4 of the repeaters, 2 of which connected directly with the main access point and the other 2 to the repeaters. while phones and laptop showed full connection bars and the repeaters 3 lights each, throughput was not good. im sure they will be returning and we will be returning with proper access points, most likely Araknis 

Archived