C4 Forums | Control4

Simple Control

3 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

good afternoon, anyone come across ~ simple control 

https://www.simplecontrol.com/

Alexa set the link to my app while I was trying to get her to turn the TV on 

I used it for about a year. It does an awesome job of controlling IP devices. Lots of good drivers. Biggest problem is that there is not a hard button remote and the developer is pretty adamant about not having one. That was the biggest negative for me and why I switched to Control4. Other thing was Control4, at the time things may have changed, does a better job of grouping audio zones. Last was integrating my alarm panel but that wasn’t enough alone to make me switch. 

*app-based*.  Say goodbye to any scheduled events, motion / door / etc. events and programming, etc.

*iOS only*.  No Android app.  Not a surprise, since it's app only.

Either of those would be a killer for me, even if I wasn't a Control4 employee, as I'm an Android guy who has a lot of programmed events.

It's *control*, not *automation*.

RyanE

16 minutes ago, RyanE said:

*app-based*.  Say goodbye to any scheduled events, motion / door / etc. events and programming, etc.

*iOS only*.  No Android app.  Not a surprise, since it's app only.

Either of those would be a killer for me, even if I wasn't a Control4 employee, as I'm an Android guy who has a lot of programmed events.

It's *control*, not *automation*.

RyanE

I find it funny how many companies confuse app based universal remote controls with automation.

The interesting part for me, is that they have identified Control4 as the Market. 

Could this be the first of many ? 

Concerning HA and Control - The use of Hue and its App (and sensors) gives you a wide range of programming  

which would be classed as HA. 

These guys have been around forever. They used to be called Roomie. 

They've also had that comparison up for more than a year. 

I've used the product. It is pretty good. It has more control of media devices than Control4, at least by default (e.g. not having to pay extra like Control4). But the bottom line is this--it doesn't have a hardbutton remote, despite claiming otherwise! That makes it worthless for a lot of people. Nobody can convince me that touchscreen is the future for TV control. 

10 hours ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

Concerning HA and Control - The use of Hue and its App (and sensors) gives you a wide range of programming  

which would be classed as HA. 

That might class Hue as HA, actually.

A wide range of programming isn't the delineating factor for smart home vs connected home, though. Virtually anything can have a wide range of programming if it integrates with IFTTT. That doesn't mean it's a smart-home product, it just means it has external control.

They're a connected-home platform, not a smart-home platform because a smart-home platform is more than a blinking command line interface. Do they have scenes, and zones, and agents, and a multitude of remote services? No, they don't, not anything like Control4. 

Oh, and Control4 can control vastly more devices, so if Control4 was JUST a connect-home platform, it's still better.

I've seen others that say they're competition to Control4, one even made their marketing materials nearly the same as Control4's.

There is a *lot* of space for different niche products, but I still personally think Control4 has it figured out more than most.

RyanE

18 hours ago, RyanE said:

I've seen others that say they're competition to Control4, one even made their marketing materials nearly the same as Control4's.

There is a *lot* of space for different niche products, but I still personally think Control4 has it figured out more than most.

RyanE

Fully agreed... and maybe it will get even better in 2 weeks time?!?

On 8/21/2018 at 8:36 PM, Gary Leeds UK said:

Most things are these days  ~ they are aiming directly at Control4 

https://www.simplecontrol.com/the-simple-comparison/

Control4 has integration with Fibaro (3rd-party), Vera, Philips Hue, Apple TV IP control, Kodi (3rd-party), Kaleidescape (3rd-party), LG TV (3rd-party + Control4), Oppo Blu-ray players…

Archived