C4 Forums | Control4

alexa integration with control 4 speakers

joepap

Good Sunday Morning Everyone.   It is super easy to say "alexa, play xyz" and she plays it my amazon music from her little echo speaker.   In order for me to play music on the house speakers, I have to start playing my music on my phone...open the control 4 app...hit my wireless bridge, tell the iphone to stream to the bridge on bluetooth....go back to control 4 and select the rooms I want to play in...etc etc.   

Is there an easy way for me to tell Alexa, play lullabies from amazon in the nursery?   Or "Alexa, play party music on the patio"  

If someone knows this trick....I'd be alive for a few more years as my wife won't kill me :) 

thanks everyone

What kind of control4 controller is the main one? What is the c4 operating system? Do you have a 4 or 8 zone amp for the ceiling speakers?

You can set up some things if you purchase composer HE and do the programing, alternatively if you connect an echo dot to your c4 system as a source you can use the echos out in the rooms to start playback on the one that is connected to your amps and not use c4 native streaming

11 minutes ago, joepap said:

Thanks for the reply!  

I have an HC250 controller

I have an 8 zone amp....

How do I find the operating system for you?

I would prefer to use the speakers already connected to the C4 and not the dots.   

In the setting of your c4 app it should show the version. How many inputs are available on the 8 zone amp? You would connect the headphone jack output of a dot into the amp so it will be used as a source, that way you can use the echos out in the room and say play, xyz on house echo and when the hardwired dot is the selected source in c4 it plays out of the ceiling speakers. 

OK...I think I get it conceptually.   So I would purchase another dot (cause there isn't anything near the controller), connect it to the amp and setup as source.  Would I still be able to differentiate  what rooms I wanted to play it in on the verbal command to alexa or would I have to go into the app after and select them that way?

Thanks for the help--this is progress :) 

I have the following command that work a treat for me -

1. Alexa - turn on speakers all.

This turns on Pandora on the last station I used for Pandora (which I can change on my phone if I wish) and sets 12 rooms of speakers on at a preset volume which I can also change on my phone or drop off any rooms I want.

Let me know if this sounds interesting to you and I will tell you what I did.

You can also set up Control 4 Airplay and simply play what ever you are playing through Alexa through airplay.  Or from your phone using airplay.

9 hours ago, joepap said:

That’s exactly what I’d like.... (I just prefer amazon music but I’m sure that’s an easy sub)!   Look forward to hearing it...

thx!

OK - I have AMAZON ECHO in the left side of the screen and when I choose it I have a number of VOICE COMMANDS that I can do - you create these on Systen Design Add Trigger Name (let me know if you don't know how to do that.  My trigger name was SPEAKERS ALL.

When that is activated the ONE LINE that is executed is:

Play Pandora Station: Bills Radio Station In Room(s) Main> Debbies Closet, Main> Living Room, Main > Kitchen, Main> Study.....

That is it -

The Turn off Speakers all Executes:

Turn off Study

Turn Off Kitchen

Turn off Living Room  etc

I turn off ALL rooms on turn off because even though I may not have turned them on turning them off is not an issue and makes sure you don't orphan any speakers.

Let me know if you have questions - this works a treat.

You could have Trigger phrases like:

Turn on Speaker Kitchen

Turn on Main Set (set ot three speakers for example)

If I want to play a specific song or playlist then I use airplay from my phone to play throughout the house from my phone.  We recently had a celebration of life at my house for friend that passed. Each person was asked to bring some of their favorite songs and each got to play one song in memory. Each person simply attached to my airplay and it played through out the house while pictures of my friend were on the projection screen in the media room and on all televisions as well.

This allowed multiple people to play different songs on my sound system throughout the house.

Thanks for the reply.   It was a bit vague for me.... are you in composer? are you in HE?   Did you set up your echo as a source like someone explained to me above?  I used to have access to composer but I've since lost it.   I have HE but I am afraid to run it as I'm not sure it's the right version and I don't want to screw it up!  

I appreciate the help Bill!

Composer. 

I do not know anything about HE so I don’t know if it does this. 

Pandora is is set up or amazon or your source is set up in C4. 

Echo simply executes “play bills radio station” and turns on the standard speakers at standard volume. 

Let me know if you still don’t understand it?

8 minutes ago, TexasBill said:

Composer. 

I do not know anything about HE so I don’t know if it does this. 

Pandora is is set up or amazon or your source is set up in C4. 

Echo simply executes “play bills radio station” and turns on the standard speakers at standard volume. 

Let me know if you still don’t understand it?

Bill, you are using Composer HE.

There are 2 flavors

Composer Pro = Dealers

Composer HE = Home Owners

Dont think you will be able to do all that programing with HE, you will need pro. Contact your dealer and I'm sure they will be able to help you.

Check your version of C4 on your phone app. then go download the correct version from your customer page. You can not do anything on the wrong version.

I called my company that manages my system.  They said they would have to come out and do it in person.  I thought it could be done remotely but they didn't like that idea.  Don't really want to spend 300$ for this feature with an in home visit....but man it would make my wife happy!  

36 minutes ago, joepap said:

I called my company that manages my system.  They said they would have to come out and do it in person.  I thought it could be done remotely but they didn't like that idea.  Don't really want to spend 300$ for this feature with an in home visit....but man it would make my wife happy!  

What update? Numerous dealers do not like doing it, though we go by the monikker that we do it ... provided we can come by in short order if things go wrong.

That said, plenty of dealers here that offer online services. There;s a section gfor that.

On 9/9/2018 at 8:06 AM, joepap said:

I have to start playing my music on my phone...open the control 4 app...hit my wireless bridge, tell the iphone to stream to the bridge on bluetooth....go back to control 4 and select the rooms I want to play in

Not that I intend to discourage you from doing what youre trying to do with Alexa.

But I do want to point out that there are a LOT of steps in there that don't make sense or are unneeded in a properly setup system, unfortunately your current HC250 limits it right now, you could just get an EA1 installed overtop.

You say you use iPhone....If you do add that EA1 or bigger:

You should be able (to have it set up) to work like this:

Select music on your phone, select the appropriate airplay (can be set to individual rooms and/or multiple rooms - ie 'living airplay' or 'second floor airplay' or 'whole house' airplay) .....

That's it. MMusic starts playing from there.

Hey Cyknight....    No update, just program my system to use the Alexa the way that we wanted it to be used. 

As for the second part, we currently do that on our phones without issue (well...at least me....)  My wife hates doing it on her android and finds it clunky and to be fair, is a multi step process as apposed to "alexa play classical music in the kitchen".   I come home and find her telling alexa to play whatever and she is listening on the small echo dot instead of the $$ nice speakers in the house.   

Does that make any sense?

Sleep tight & have a good week!

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

I called my company that manages my system.  They said they would have to come out and do it in person.  I thought it could be done remotely but they didn't like that idea.  Don't really want to spend 300$ for this feature with an in home visit...

msgreenf contacted me and after a few emails back and forth got my system up and running just the way I wanted.     Now I simply say, "alexa, turn on kitchen speakers" and then "alexa play jazz on amazon music everywhere" and bam...music playing thru my speakers in the kitchen and anywhere else I wanted them playing.

Thanks again msgreenf!   

I don't know about Android but if you have an iPhone playing music to C4 is as easy as starting up Spotify (or whatever) on your phone, click on devices and select the Shairplay device name.  Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.  So you might want to think about how things are set up today.  But I do agree that using Alexa is pretty easy if you get it set up properly to play to zones.

22 minutes ago, zaphod said:

I don't know about Android but if you have an iPhone playing music to C4 is as easy as starting up Spotify (or whatever) on your phone, click on devices and select the Shairplay device name.  Easy, peasy, lemon squeezy.  So you might want to think about how things are set up today.  But I do agree that using Alexa is pretty easy if you get it set up properly to play to zones.

If you read back on the post, that wasn't the main issue.  The music is then also tied to your phone if you do it from your phone.  Y  By integrating alexa into it as an audio out to the C4, all the audio is then coming from the alexa--amazon/spotify/sirius, etc...   If I walk out of range of my C4 system while playing music, the house loses the music.   My phone battery dies more.... you get a phone call....  etc.    

The way he set it up, I say two things to alexa and then music is playing where i want it to.  My wife is much happier.....happy wife...you know the rest.   For the non tech savy, this is a great way to do it.     

One of the coolest things that we did recently was to enable Airplay on Control 4. Setup some standard speakers and volumes and then on your phone, or a visitors phone, or your wifes phone simply play ANYTHING you want - pandora, ANYTHING and swipe up on your apple phone and send it to Airplay. TA DA - you are playing from your phone or your friends phone directly through your house.  Just too cool.

Bill

On ‎10‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 10:58 AM, joepap said:

If you read back on the post, that wasn't the main issue.  The music is then also tied to your phone if you do it from your phone.  Y  By integrating alexa into it as an audio out to the C4, all the audio is then coming from the alexa--amazon/spotify/sirius, etc...   If I walk out of range of my C4 system while playing music, the house loses the music.   My phone battery dies more.... you get a phone call....  etc.    

The way he set it up, I say two things to alexa and then music is playing where i want it to.  My wife is much happier.....happy wife...you know the rest.   For the non tech savy, this is a great way to do it.     

I love my Alexa and saying "alexa, turn on all speakers" and have my favorite pandora station playing immediately.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.