C4 Forums | Control4

Emby DLNA is not found by C4...but others find it easily

Just trying to get a DLNA server on my FreeNAS that works with C4's search requirement (for programming only).

Plex - easily found, no search - documentation mentions this.

Emby - very similar to Plex and now verified all ports needed are open on firewall, no other DLNA server is present on FreeNAS, and on  a Win10 PC on my network, Windows Media finds Emby and can play out music perfectly.  Sony TV can do the same.  Control4?  in Actions of My Music (DLNA) I press "Rediscover Servers" then move back to the Properties tab, DLNA server selector has no entries.

Now previously the rediscover servers / server selector would find plex media server when I had that as DLNA server, and also miniDLNA when I tried that.  Both of those are shut down for DLNA so Emby should be found just fine.

Figured I'd try a reboot of my FreeNAS.  While down, looked at Lua and of course it got:

[string "Lua Code"]:142: attempt to index global 'Devices' (a nil value)

Now FreeNAS is back up, Emby server is rocking... Windows Media Player sees it again, can play music, etc.  Control4 registers zero DLNA server.

• 3 weeks later...

I am experiencing a similar problem.  Last week my DLNA driver (v130) started refusing to find my DLNA server (Twonky).  It started a few days after having been upgraded to 2.10.4 for me.  The odd part is that it won't find any DLNA server not just Twonky, as I have a couple running on my network.  However, all other Non-C4 devices that support DLNA can find all the servers, so that would lead me to believe that it is something C4 related, rebooting controller etc. didn't seem to have an impact.

10/01/18 17:42:07 : SSDP discovery socket online
[string "Lua Code"]:142: attempt to index global 'Devices' (a nil value)
10/01/18 17:42:17 : SSDP discovery socket offline

@msgreenf or @neil12011, have you heard of any DLNA issues with 2.10.4?

2 minutes ago, THE L1ZARD KING said:

i was out of town last week so i missed it - i did report some issues to control4 so maybe they have fixed them

22 hours ago, THE L1ZARD KING said:

I updated your driver to the most current version dated 9/21/18.  Let me know if that doesn't take care of it.

Quick Update:

As Neil mentioned we were able to upgrade the DLNA driver to v132, however it is still unable to discover DLNA servers.  I tailed the director.log and captured the debug output while kicking off a manual discovery (output captured below).  I was hoping to get some additional info but the logs don't tell me much more than what was already being displayed in the LUA output through Composer HE.  No changes were made to the existing DLNA servers, and one is on the same switch as my EA1, so discovery of that DLNA server wouldn't even need to traverse Layer-3.

https://pastebin.com/raw/kjk872wc

1 hour ago, THE L1ZARD KING said:

I think I found the problem with my setup.  I believe I have tracked it down to a faulty switch, I believe it has something to do with it's ARP table which explains why it couldn't find a DLNA server on the same device.

Thanks @neil12011 for your help!

Nice find.

Network problems really are the biggest obstacle to smart homes in general and Control4 as well. It's annoying to always be told that, but it ends up being the case most of the time.

22 hours ago, thegreatheed said:

Network problems really are the biggest obstacle to smart homes in general and Control4 as well. It's annoying to always be told that, but it ends up being the case most of the time.

The thing I want to say the least, but end up saying the most often 😶

Archived