C4 Forums | Control4

Wink vs Vera in C4

eggzlot

So I am looking at some Zwave outlets and it would be cheaper to get a hub vs getting an EA to replace my HC800.

So people suggested VeraPlus and ZWave outlets.  Though I see Wink has Leviton outlets too.

I see there is a Wink driver for C4 too.  Wink has MyQ integration and from what I've read the C4 integration with MyQ is a bit hit or miss.  I am getting new garage doors soon and by default they will be MyQ Liftmaster as that is what my GC can price out well for me.  I currently have my garage doors hard wired with garage door kit but during renovation some of those wires took a beating so I'd have to re-wire that set up and its the only thing in my house I do not really understand how it is wired.

So it got me thinking, what's the differences between Wink vs Vera within the parameters of C4?  Is one integration better or worse?  One local vs one cloud based?

19 minutes ago, mallom said:

He is probably talking about that old beta driver.

https://www.synapseha.com/product/wink-driver/

This driver made system VERY unstable. Would not recommend using the beta driver.

yep I thought I remember a driver but after you linked that I just read the last page and I guess wink is out.

Veraplus is the best option for C4/Zwave I assume which is why it was recommended in the other thread.

Thanks.

30 minutes ago, mallom said:

Yeah... I would avoid Zwave in general.
If you really need zwave, the "best" option would be native C4 Zwave. But if you need support for more devices, Vera would be best.

I hear ya.  But I need to control like 5 outlets.

5 x C4 switches ~ $700

A new EA controller + dongle + outlets > $1000+

or VeraPlus Hub + 5 outlets ~ $300

The cost isnt even close for what I'd consider a simple use case.  Its clear I am pro c4 and have no issues but just to control 5 outlets, it may be overkill to go with a C4 solution.  I wish C4 had its own in wall outlet.

14 minutes ago, Gary Leeds UK said:

If a outlet is a socket (UK) why not use WeMo and Alans Driver 

I have Wemo and IFTTT driver in one spot already.  and it drops off line, not the driver, the Wemo itself.  not super impressed.  I was using it to simply control an Xmas tree the last 2 years. 

one use case I have is behind a piece of furniture that will be tight to the wall.  not sure if outlet + wemo + plug of the appliance will all fit nicely.  And since I've had to reboot the wemo a few times I am hesitant to put it behind a piece of furniture that will be immobile (bathroom vanity with a back/sideplash attached to the wall)

Another use case is a custom made mirror with an outlet cut into the mirror.  and the outlet will have a glass cover so it blends in.  sticking a wemo on that would not be pleasing to the eye.

so looking at making them switched outlets or zwave outlets.

On 9/14/2018 at 9:56 AM, eggzlot said:

I have Wemo and IFTTT driver in one spot already.  and it drops off line, not the driver, the Wemo itself.  not super impressed.  I was using it to simply control an Xmas tree the last 2 years. 

one use case I have is behind a piece of furniture that will be tight to the wall.  not sure if outlet + wemo + plug of the appliance will all fit nicely.  And since I've had to reboot the wemo a few times I am hesitant to put it behind a piece of furniture that will be immobile (bathroom vanity with a back/sideplash attached to the wall)

Another use case is a custom made mirror with an outlet cut into the mirror.  and the outlet will have a glass cover so it blends in.  sticking a wemo on that would not be pleasing to the eye.

so looking at making them switched outlets or zwave outlets.

There is a Chowmain driver for the TP-Link Kasa branded WiFi plugs as well. I use them via Alan's IFTTT driver, but they are cheaper than WeMo and quite stable--I've had no drop-offs from my network in the several months I've had them. Just another option to consider. 

I also have some Zwave blinds and plugs and don't have any stability issues with them. Zwave can be a bit of a pain in the pairing stage, but I've generally had good luck with it once it pairs and as long as your Zwave mesh is strong enough. I use a Wink but would definitely recommend getting a Vera if you go that route. I already had a Wink and didn't realize until later how well Vera works with C4. I've just been using the IFTTT driver to interface, but may eventually swap out the Wink for a better C4 experience.  

Archived