C4 Forums | Control4

Philips HUE control with multiple bridges

fleon

Question

Does anyone know if C4 will control HUE lights across multiple bridges?   For a variety of reasons, I have 5 bridges.  

Does anyone know if C4 will control lights across all of them?   Is there a limit to the number of bridges?

Thanks!

8 answers to this question

I have done a system with 2 bridges. The hue has proven to be a real pain. Trying to do remote updates on the bridges and stuff has been hard. Lights occasionally drop offline. It hasn't been the most reliable for a variety of reasons but 2 bridges definitely works fine. Good luck with 5 bridges. I would make sure to be charging on an hourly basis as I bet this will take you much longer than expected, then you will get quite a bit of service calls on it over the years as well. It works, once its set up its alright but over time with firmware updates and major changes on the Philips side lots of maintenance is required. Especially if you have 75+ bulbs.

Yea with 75 bulbs you will do like an "all on" and like 71/75 bulbs will work just fine, Then there will be 4 that don't change colors, then you have to reconfigure them and reprogramming them and the hue device ID will change. Then 3 months later you go to do an all on and like 73/75 bulbs will turn on and change colors, and the two that didn't change colors will be completely different from last time. So then your re configuring them and reprogramming things.

If you only have a few bulbs locally in a room it would likely be perfect.

75 bulbs installed outdoors wrapped around the soffit of a 10, 000 sq ft mansion all changing colors automatically. Halloween = Orange, Birthday = Blue, St Pattys = Green. Probably not the best idea looking back on it now.

Then the customer will come home on Halloween and only 72/75 bulbs will be orange. and the 3 that aren't the right color stock out like a sore thumb. So frustating. Espcially when you need an extension ladder just to climb up and try and service them...

I dunno I would likely try DMX if I had to do something like that again. If speccing/selling Hue just set the expectations that it probably wont be perfect. Especially on large installs.

On 9/21/2018 at 6:56 PM, BraydonH said:

Yea with 75 bulbs you will do like an "all on" and like 71/75 bulbs will work just fine, Then there will be 4 that don't change colors, then you have to reconfigure them and reprogramming them and the hue device ID will change. Then 3 months later you go to do an all on and like 73/75 bulbs will turn on and change colors, and the two that didn't change colors will be completely different from last time. So then your re configuring them and reprogramming things.

If you only have a few bulbs locally in a room it would likely be perfect.

75 bulbs installed outdoors wrapped around the soffit of a 10, 000 sq ft mansion all changing colors automatically. Halloween = Orange, Birthday = Blue, St Pattys = Green. Probably not the best idea looking back on it now.

Then the customer will come home on Halloween and only 72/75 bulbs will be orange. and the 3 that aren't the right color stock out like a sore thumb. So frustating. Espcially when you need an extension ladder just to climb up and try and service them...

I dunno I would likely try DMX if I had to do something like that again. If speccing/selling Hue just set the expectations that it probably wont be perfect. Especially on large installs.

Mhh should have found this thread before I just installed most of my 60+ bulbs and 2 bridges 😀

As a saveguard I have disable disabled auto-udates on the Bridges.

Can you explain what the ID change is you were talking about?

once your first bring the light into the system it might be ID 17. Then it will glitch out and you will have to re add the light. It will now be like ID 43. So you delete the old ID17 out of the philips app because its no longer relevant, then you have to reprogram any C4 stuff and replace anything using ID 17 with ID 43 for example.

Archived