C4 Forums | Control4

Garage Door Openers

LollerAgent

Question

I'm looking to buy garage door openers for a new construction.  I have CAT6 ran to the door locations (for sensors) and to the motor locations as well.  I would prefer not to use any cloud-based products like MyQ (and that expensive driver).  Are there any models/brands that could be recommended for automation using the CAT6 that is already ran?  I understand one concern is that most new-ish openers won't allow relay/contact access for security reasons.

7 answers to this question

The CAT6 to the opener can get wired to a relay on your controller, and the CAT6 for the door sensor can get wired to a contact on the controller.

I was originally doing this with an old HC300 controller, but replaced that with a Control4 Z2IO when they came out (and HC300's were no longer being supported). Works great, and I don't have to worry about any cloud services changing, going down, or pulling support for a particular driver or API.

image.png.cf706c383d8ad04f5742caf5cdbc3882.png

3 minutes ago, THawes said:

The CAT6 to the opener can get wired to a relay on your controller, and the CAT6 for the door sensor can get wired to a contact on the controller.

This is exactly what I want to do, but I am hearing that most modern openers don't allow this for security reasons.  Do you know anything about this?

Can you link me to the contact sensors that you use?

5 minutes ago, LollerAgent said:

but I am hearing that most modern openers don't allow this for security reasons.  Do you know anything about this?

I'm not sure where you heard that, but I haven't seen any modern garage door openers that don't have wire terminals for a wired garage door opener - or heard that they are doing away with them. The relay is going to trigger the door to open or close just like a standard wired opener button would.

I am using some basic Honeywell contacts that I had on-hand - https://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-951WG-WH-Recessed-Magnetic-Contact/dp/B001UKY1A4/

2 hours ago, LollerAgent said:

Maybe it's just the Liftmaster openers that use "Security 2.0" [1].

[1] https://www.hackster.io/DaveES/security-2-0-myq-garage-door-opener-36e127

I pulled up the manual for one of the LiftMaster openers, it seems to have the same wire terminals that every opener has, so I don't foresee a problem there.

image.png.4a9aa3b4e19a21abe4426de715f3946f.png

You have to solder a wire to a wall button/opener (door control in the manual above) and run it to the relay on your controller for the Security Plus 2.0 openers (and use a contact/tilt sensor as well).  Theres a ton of information about it here on these forums come to find out - I just missed it at first.

I've just got my sliding gate connected to C4-Z2IO, set it in director to Option 3:  1 relay (SPST), 2 contacts. Wired the relay to the toggle or push (open/stop/close), wired the limit sensors to each contact and walla! C4 integrated. Plus I get to use it's build in sensors for outdoor temperature and humidity. 

Archived