C4 Forums | Control4

Disable TVs based on schedule

dutsnekcirf

Here comes another example of lazy parenting....I want to prevent my children from being able to turn on the TV in the mornings before school.  Due to circumstances, us parents can't be home in the morning to get our kids ready for school.  They aren't especially young either and typically get themselves ready and to school.  But we have had occasions where they've gotten distracted by the TV and lost track of time.  So...this is how I've done it and I think I'm doing it wrong.

I created two schedule objects ("TV Access on" and "TV access off").  "TV Access on" triggers every weekday at 9:00 AM.  "TV Access off" triggers every weekday at 4:00 AM.  I then created a boolean variable called "TV Access".  When "TV Access on" triggers it sets the "TV Access" variable to "TRUE".  When "TV Access off" triggers it sets the "TV Access" variable to "FALSE".

Then for each of my rooms on the "video selection changed" event, if the "TV Access" variable is "FALSE", then I turn off the room.

This works sorta.  It ends up allowing the TV to turn on but then the remote just goes into the room off state.  As soon as they press "Watch...something" then the TV turns off.

I'm thinking there's got to be a better way to simply prevent the TV from turning on at all.  How would you guys do this?

That is probably how I would do it for ease of use (a delay the. Room off may turn the TV back off). If the tvs are IR you could pass 1 side through a controllers relay port to intercept the ground. Otherwise a weemo outlet on the tv or something similar may be the way to go

They are indeed controlled by IR and I just happen to have a wireless outlet switch connected to the TV but only being used for power sensing to help ensure the TV actually gets powered on and off reliably.  How would the programming look if I used those?  I feel like I'm programming off the wrong event; "video selection changed".

It just so happens I have a spare wemo outlet that I've never used.  I might give that a try on one of the other TVs in the house. 

What about the POWER_STATE room variable?  What does that do?  What if I just set that variable to off when the scheduler triggers.  Would that prevent anything from turning on?

11 minutes ago, dutsnekcirf said:

and I just happen to have a wireless outlet switch connected to the TV but only being used for power sensing to help ensure the TV actually gets powered on and off reliably

Then simply do this: On the schedule events, simply turn the appropriate outlet on and off.....

Strangely, I'm not seeing an option to turn off the appropriate outlet.  I have the Wireless Outlet Switch v2 driver for a LDZ-5S1-W.  Does this device not support that capability?  It is pretty old.

EDIT:  I think I'm remembering that I have to bind a generic relay to the Wireless Outlet Switch in order to be able to do this. Does that sound right?  

Archived