C4 Forums | Control4

Best Used Equipment Upgrade to Replace Original Media Controller

djerum

I have an OG media controller that died the other day. I plan on buying a used controller and I'm trying to understand what the 'biggest upgrade' would be if I (a) want to spend $200 or less; and (b) isn't going to obsolete my light switches and thermostats; Any and all suggestions are appreciated!

If you have the original media controller avm-mc1-b, you're most probably on an older version of Composer.  Likely version 1.7.4.  Finding a used controller on 1.7.4 will be challenging.  Even used HC200 or HC300 units will most likely have been upgraded to 2.x.  What that means is that your light switches will have to be firmware updated to Zigbee Pro.  Something that a dealer will have to do.  It can be done, it's just more work.  

If you want to replace like for like, then look for the same media controller you have.  If you want to take advantage of all the new features of a newer controller, then you'll need to upgrade to Zigbee Pro.

Knowing what version you are on will be key. If its 1.8 then you know all the zigbee devices have been updated and should work just fine.

That is a pretty small budget, Only controllers I would really reccomend these days are the old (used) HC-800. (make sure it has licenses) or an EA1/3/5.

The HC250 is pretty damn good but its getting its feature set cut short, like no Spotify, ShairBridge, a few other things.

So for that reason 800 or EA is the way to go. Hopefully you can find one in that price range.

HC 250s also tend to have Micro SD card failures, which is easy enough to fix, but the 800 is definitely more reliable.

Archived