C4 Forums | Control4

Ideas for ISO movie player?

dentalben

I have all of my DVD and BD movies stored as ISO files on a Windows 2012 server. I'm  using a Dune HD media player to stream the movies on my system, but the Dune is giving me problems on a regular basis. Can anyone provide a suggestion on what and how to setup something more reliable (Kodi box, Nvidia shield, etc) that I could replace the Dune media player with? My system is on v2.9.1. Thanks.

A new Dune.

No I'm not being a pain. It would be the easiest thing to do. Just make sure you get the right type - not one of the 'android' ones.

Shield might be a good way to go, indeed I'm looking at it as a potential option myself (oh if I could freeze time Rick & Morty style for a few months...) but it would be an involved process as far as I can tell at this point.

3 minutes ago, dentalben said:

something more reliable

Note that Dune normally is VERY reliable - so you're likely looking at a faulty unit, or a faulty setup.

3 minutes ago, dentalben said:

Windows 2012 server

Which may be part of it 😉

On 10/6/2018 at 11:36 PM, dentalben said:

Thanks for the advice! So far the Infuse Pro app is the easiest and best thing I've ever done with my Control4 system. It's too bad C4 wasn't able to make their own media player work better years ago...

Indeed, it works like a charm... control4 should link up with someone like Firecor (who created Infuse) for this and create perfect integration... 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

ISO is bit for bit.  MP4 is compressed.

Depending on where these files are being watched, one may be better over the other or not. All depends on preference.

Me, I’d stick with ISOs.  If you download movies to tablets and such, then maybe mp4 would be a better route for you. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/8/2018 at 3:07 PM, ekohn00 said:

Take a look at Plex.

For me, I went from Kaleidescape (awesome, but expensive) to Plex, and haven't looked back.  We use AppleTVs and haven't been happier.

You can easily add the Plex server on your Windows Server.

PLEX don't play ISO, as far as I am aware

18 minutes ago, Mike_S101 said:

PLEX don't play ISO, as far as I am aware

Plex does not support the use of ISO, IMG, Video_TS, BDMV, or other “disk image” formats. If you wish to use those with Plex, you should convert them to a compatible format.

That said, I use Plex.  Someone mentioned infuse.....I'd second taking a look at that, though I hate searching if you have 100s of files.

On 1/2/2019 at 8:16 AM, lippavisual said:

ISO is bit for bit.  MP4 is compressed.

Depending on where these files are being watched, one may be better over the other or not. All depends on preference.

Me, I’d stick with ISOs.  If you download movies to tablets and such, then maybe mp4 would be a better route for you. 

EXACTLY. Not to mention that it displays in all aspects as a full disc would, including menus, features audio and language and subtitle selection, if it's desired (overall or on a disc by disc basis.

On 10/4/2018 at 11:38 PM, dentalben said:

I have all of my DVD and BD movies stored as ISO files on a Windows 2012 server. I'm  using a Dune HD media player to stream the movies on my system, but the Dune is giving me problems on a regular basis. Can anyone provide a suggestion on what and how to setup something more reliable (Kodi box, Nvidia shield, etc) that I could replace the Dune media player with? My system is on v2.9.1. Thanks.

I have the Dune Max that works flawlessly if you are interested:  

Archived