C4 Forums | Control4

Video-Storm and Amazon Fire Stick

ee999

Hoping those more familiar with video-storm can help me out on this.

Currently I have an 8x8 component matrix and would like to upgrade the video portion of my system. I've looked at video-storm and decided to do a "test" on my system to see if my network could handle it.

I purchased Uray h.264 1080p encoder, an amazon fire stick (basic edition - this is the only one available in Canada - no alexa on it), the OTG adapter and wired network hub (listed on the video-storm website to use with the fire stick).

Uray h.264 is  set at 1920x1080 @30fps, high profile, vbr, 20000 bitrate(kbit) using an RTSP URL- as recommended on the video storm website

I am using VLC to test the stream on various devices:

Results:

No issues streaming to a intel i7 computer & sony android tv (xbr850) using vlc

However, when using the fire stick (with the vlc app on it), it will not stream the 1080p smoothly, major pixels and stuttering, no picture at times, problems with audio as well. Tried the Fire stick on a Samsung LCD and also tried it on the Sony android tv (the same tv that was able to stream no problems with android vlc).

So my question: does the Fire Stick just not have enough horsepower to decode the 1080p stream? the video-storm website lists it as one of the decoders you can use. Is it an issue with the Fire Stick VLC app? Would a Fire Stick stream 1080p smoothly using the Video Storm app?

Thx in advance.

NVidia Shield or Fire Media Player (not stick) for Android boxes.  These will also require extra hardware to control the boxes themselves for other apps that are available.

Or you can just get another Videostorm decoder, they have 1080 and 4K versions here: http://www.video-storm.com/proddetail.asp?prod=netplayhomedecoder

Archived