C4 Forums | Control4

Need Help: Adding a Roku/FireTv Device

djtech2k

I had Magnolia install a home theater in my home several years ago.  It includes a Control4 system that just basically functions as an all-in-one remote for the devices in that room.  I do not use it that much, but I have learned that it seems I am completely locked out of the system I bought and only the dealer can make changes.  I needed something done a couple years ago and they charged me like $250 to clean up the old install.  If I had known this before I bought it, I would have never bought it.  Now I am stuck....

I am considering dropping my directv satellite and going to Directv Now service instead, so I will need some way to get the apps.  I use Roku in my home, so I was thinking of using Roku or maybe Fire TV.  So my obvious question will be:  Is there ANY way to add this thing myself and not get ripped off by a control4 dealer?  I cannot imagine this is more than a 5 minute task.

Ok, thanks for the reply.  I am just kicking myself for not asking more specifically about this when I purchased.  I would never....

Anyway, that's all done now.  Am I able to use any C4 dealer to do something like this?  If so, how?  And what would it cost to add a device like a Roku?

Definitely go with a Roku integration . The fire TVs are not supported without extra hardware anymore.  I totally understand your frustration with having the call dealer to add devices.  Personally if you’re only controlling one room you might be better off with the Logitech remote or something similar.  I use Control4 because it’s a whole home system and does so much more than just one room. But I think this not worth it for one room if you are not using it’s full capabilities. I have sound lights garage cameras tied into it. 

On 10/8/2018 at 6:15 PM, hardwareguy2068 said:

@djtech2k I see that Mitch has messaged you and I promise that his time is reasonable and what he can do with your system!  He fixed me up and transformed my good C4 system to an amazing experience!!  He is GREAT!

Agree

On 10/8/2018 at 6:15 PM, hardwareguy2068 said:

@djtech2k I see that Mitch has messaged you and I promise that his time is reasonable and what he can do with your system!  He fixed me up and transformed my good C4 system to an amazing experience!!  He is GREAT!

Agreed.  Wish there was a way to replicate him.  

• 3 weeks later...

Archived