C4 Forums | Control4

OT: Sonos help needed/ not C4 related

A little off topic, I know, but banging my head against the wall here and Sonos support has been zero help, along with their forum.  We were never really big Sonos installers, so looking for some guidance from others who may be more experienced.

I have a commercial customer that requested 6 Sonos Connects for their project.  I have 6 zones with amplification and speakers already installed.  In each zone, I also have a stereo audio input plate from RDL that then connects to each Connect Line-In for each zone respectively.  I've set each Line-In settings to volume 10 and also to autoplay.

My problem is that any device whether phone, tablet, laptop, etc. plugged into these plates produces extremely low volume.  Each user device has volume maxed and I've maxed the volume on Sonos, yet the audio is barely perceptible.

Support says there is no problem and it should work fine.  Google has come up with many of these reports, but the usual Sonos lover/tech comes in on their forums and says its not a Sonos problem, must be a bad cable or setup is wrong, etc. 

I've even tried plugging my phone directly into a connect and experience the same low level volume.

Anyone have any ideas that I can try??  I tried adding in an in-line booster, but to get the levels desired, signal gets too hot going into the Connect and now distortion/clipping occurs.

driving me nuts and I need to get this last bit of the project wrapped up so i can get paid.

Much appreciated!!!!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They don't want to use wireless, hence the audio input plate.  I've also tried something similar to the Cleanbox, but didn't help.

The company won't allow employees devices to use the work wifi, nor is there a guest wifi, etc.

Edit:  Thanks for posting, didn't mean to sound blunt.

Also, streaming sources from Sonos, like Pandora, exhibit no problems and audio volume is perfect.

That rules out my gain settings and such from the amplification equipment.  It is a 70V setup.  The Connect output runs to a RDL Unbalanced audio to Balanced audio converter, then goes directly to a multi-channel Crown amp.

2 minutes ago, SouthernSmarthome said:

Can you try running the signal straight to the amp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

my phone straight to amp works fine.  Sonos streaming music straight to amp works fine.

Sonos line-in= extremely low volume level.

2 minutes ago, SouthernSmarthome said:

Any chance you have an audio matrix in the project? Or at least one to test with?

Not sure what you're going after here?  An audio matrix would do nothing for me.

Normally, I would use a DSP to modify/amplify audio signals.  But the problem is A. customer won't pay for it. B. I'm not offering it for free C. customer says "works fine at home, you did something wrong"

It's unfortunate because I supplied everything and need a solution.

I believe it is a Sonos problem, but without support agreeing to that and customer thinks they know it all, kind of in a pickle here.

If I add a DSP to "fix" the problem on my dime, my profitability basically plummets when there wasn't really much there to begin with.  Bid projects in the commercial world suck.

Not sure what you're going after here?  An audio matrix would do nothing for me.
Normally, I would use a DSP to modify/amplify audio signals.  But the problem is A. customer won't pay for it. B. I'm not offering it for free C. customer says "works fine at home, you did something wrong"

A basic matrix would allow you to bypass the sonos.
But i understand your situation. It sucks. Did you design or did the client? I think you know where I’m heading with that question.
To be honest I’ve plugged my phone and cable boxes into the line in many times without issue so i agree it’s a head scratcher.
I’m assuming you’ve tested all of the sonos units line in.

And I didn't specify Sonos, customer did.

I would have just done the audio input plates and called it a day.

TBH, this whole project is a shit show, but from stuff that is out of my control and includes a long story that doesn't need to be online.

An example, we were supposed to install a 3x3 videowall on a moving wall mount that is flush to the wall when in home position and pivots 90 degrees to a glass conference room.  Mounting structure was provided by others (fabricators).  Initial meeting, I stressed there can be zero movement of the wall, ie: flexing.  The thing they installed is laughable and I told them we are not installing anything on it unless I get a sign-off relieving us from any responsibility.

Line -In volume has been set to 10, have tried compressed/uncompressed, etc.

Plugging directly into the audio plates and the other end of that wire directly into amp= no problems.

Definitely a Sonos problem for sure.  They are all up to date as well.

I may just bite the bullet and get a DSP in there to resolve/test.  Not even sure if that's going to make a difference or not.  Got a feeling to get the levels required, signal would be too hot again.

2 hours ago, lippavisual said:

Show the customer signal from phone -> amp is fine. Then show them phone -> Sonos. Their crap design is (should be) their problem.

Archived