C4 Forums | Control4

NYCE Ceiling Sensor - question on coverage

eggzlot

http://nycesensors.com/products/ncz3043/

It says detection range is 5m / 90 degree cone.  So if you drew a straight line from the sensor to the ground and put an X on the ground is it 2.5m in all directions around that X mark on the ground (so the entire circle it creates is 5m) or is it 5m from the X mark so really its a 10m total circle?

I have 3 entry points into the kitchen so trying to figure out how many of these ceiling sensors are needed.  there is a wall between the 1st and 2nd entry (as labeled 1 and 2 in the image) so I am thinking I may need at least 1 at each entry point then one somewhat in the middle so once I am in the kitchen and moving around the lights wont go off?

kitchenlayout2.jpg.d25e7dd3031cc4b353f173651c3014d3.jpg

i might suggest an on wall sensor in the top right corner of the kitchen and that should give almost complete coverage of the kitchen and is likely in an active area so that it will keep constant. and something like the kitchen a 5 min timer or longer would be wise as you will likely have motion or you can add buttons to disable the motion control for a period of time.

I used to use a wall one in the corner by the patio door - left corner.  It caught entry 1.  We did not have entry 2 or 3, those are new with this remodel.  and it was angled enough that if you were in the kitchen it still worked. The problem is there are cabinets now in that area, and there are 3 corner cabinets in the top right corner too.  lots of cabinets in this remodel, lots of cabinets.  that is why I am thinking I need to default to ceiling sensors.  I'll re purpose my wall sensor into another room.

2 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

i might suggest an on wall sensor in the top right corner of the kitchen and that should give almost complete coverage of the kitchen and is likely in an active area so that it will keep constant. and something like the kitchen a 5 min timer or longer would be wise as you will likely have motion or you can add buttons to disable the motion control for a period of time.

yea just will depend on how accurate you want to be with the motion detection you are going to want it where you enter and where there is the most traffic. so you may need one in the kitchen area and at the entraces however i think 1 and 2 are close enough so you might be able to cover that with one.

1 minute ago, Matt Lowe said:

yea just will depend on how accurate you want to be with the motion detection you are going to want it where you enter and where there is the most traffic. so you may need one in the kitchen area and at the entraces however i think 1 and 2 are close enough so you might be able to cover that with one.

I dont mind if I have to take 1-2 steps into the kitchen for the lights to turn on.  We just usually eat dinner in the two adjacent rooms - living room and dining room, so we have hands full of plates and stuff so its helpful when the lights go on.  but if its dark out and I am cooking in the kitchen I dont want the lights going out on me either!

Spoke to NYCE.  Friendly on the phone.  The 5m means it can work at a height of 5m so like a 2 story foyer and it would work

at 8’ for my ceiling he said the radius is 16’.   If ceiling was 10’ he said I would have a 20’ radius.  Higher up it goes the bigger the cone and coverage one will get off a device

hope that’s helpful to future lurkers 

Archived