C4 Forums | Control4

Weather Radio Announcing

TexasBill

I have a Midland Weather Radio - it is connected to my Amplifier 8 in the third port.  The code says that when audio is sensed coming in on that port to "Select Weather Radio as the audio source in Living and then sets Active the "Emergency Weather media scene using the last room selected.

My problem is that the "when audio is stopped" being sensed never gets activated because the weather radio is always on.

I have tried to pause 5 seconds and then deactivate the scene - to no avail.   At the moment the only option is to go to the weather radio and reset - This is irritating to my wife who does not do those types of things.  Any thoughts would be appreciated -

At the moment the only thing that comes to mind is a wall switch that I turn off after ten seconds of activation but - the BATTERY ni the Midland would take over and I do not want to remove the battery as it requires a whole new setup again.

There has to be a nice way to simply say, I only want you to play for a maximum of ten seconds.

Bill

Bill - I have a somewhat similar setup with a weather radio but I use a radio that has an "alert line" out...these are available which can send a contact out when your alert parameters are setup (county, region, warning, etc...).  I have the contact output going into a controller and all my program is based upon that trigger.  

Done that way works well 

Kevin

16 hours ago, poisenoire said:

Bill - I have a somewhat similar setup with a weather radio but I use a radio that has an "alert line" out...these are available which can send a contact out when your alert parameters are setup (county, region, warning, etc...).  I have the contact output going into a controller and all my program is based upon that trigger.  

Done that way works well 

Kevin

Thank you for your reply Kevin -

That is EXACTLY what I am doing - I have an alert line out and my amplifier "senses" the output when it is triggered.

The problem is that if I am out of town I come back and the weather radio is playing all over the house and has been for two days. I want a way to STOP the trigger.  I can say "when the input stops sensing audio" but it never stops because the weather radio is always playing.

Am I misunderstanding what you are doing? My house actually plays the alert - you hear "There is a tornado watch in the following counties …" and then until I manually turn off Control fours audio it will continue playing the weather radio output for ever.

Bill

Could you do:

When Room Selected Audio Device is Weather Radio

Start Timer "Weather Radio Timer"

When Timer "Weather Radio Timer" expires

Turn off Room

If you wanted the room to go back to how it was before, you would save a Snapshot before selecting the audio device, then recall it instead of using the Turn off Room command.

Bill - sorry I've been away for a few days.

I do not have the problem you have as the radio I use has an actual trigger output (not audio) that only triggers when the SAME codes I chose are alerted by the NWS.  I can set the hold time for the trigger (X repeated alerts) so it will shut off after that.

Here is the radio I use.  I'll admit, it looks clunky (it's small) but it has a lot of the features that commercial alert radios are using with the RS232 integration and programmability

EAR II weather radio 5250

Not sure if posting links are ok, but you can purchase it from a very large online bookstore that is now the world's largest ecommerce company (and cloud company, and so on...)

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Neo1738 said:

Bill what about Weather Underground’s built in warnings and alerts. It’s a driver for C4 seems like you wouldn’t need the weather radio bc this will do the same thing.

If the Weather Underground driver has this functionality, it sounds like a great feature. I'd like to know if this is possible.

Just now, WhyPhy said:

If the Weather Underground driver has this functionality, it sounds like a great feature. I'd like to know if this is possible.

My understanding is yes based on previous threads. Anyone know for sure this is still a thing?

Archived