C4 Forums | Control4

Is there an upper size limit for a NAS + Contorl4?

GlennUk

HI all

Just joined and found this forum after a google trying to find out if there is a max size of NAS compatible with Control 4?

I currently have a 12 bay Synology RS2414+ with two volumes, the one i store all my media on is 25.3TB with a couple of thousand films on it, plus audio files and photos.  I want my kids to be able to play the audio files via Contorl4 setup but have been advised that i need  to use a NAS thats 2TB or smaller.  

As i am new to Contorl4 having migrated from a much simpler setup, not sure what NAS to buy or whether my Synology can be integrated into Control 4?

Apologies if there are posts discussing this but i couldn't see anything having reached.

Thanks for any feedback Glenn

You can integrate any size. But the larger the library, the more network resources needed to scan.
I would recommend using your existing nas and pointing Control4 to a shared folder on the nas that is 2tb, then you can also do that again and again. That way, it is looking on a folder I larger than 2tb at a time.
I am pretty sure You can have unlimited amount of network shares on the Control4 system.

Happy Automating!!

19 minutes ago, VINCELdUB said:

You can integrate any size. But the larger the library, the more network resources needed to scan.
I would recommend using your existing nas and pointing Control4 to a shared folder on the nas that is 2tb, then you can also do that again and again. That way, it is looking on a folder I larger than 2tb at a time.
I am pretty sure You can have unlimited amount of network shares on the Control4 system.

Happy Automating!!

DLNA - no scanning

The 2Tb limit is for external drives hooked directly up to a controller via USB or eSata, and has no bearing on NAS drivers.

I thought it was something like that. Thanks CY My knight in shining armour ;)

Happy Automating!!

To be clear I have several servers running on my system, each of them consisting of DOZENS of Tbs. The system handles them just fine.

That said, creating a music folder on one of them and pointing a separate driver to it for music IS a smart move as it prevent the system from having to scan all of it (assuming you use scheduled or manual scans vs pure manual entry).

Doing a 'full' scan won't harm anything as such, but while scanning the system could potentially get a little slower as it's using resources.

On 10/14/2018 at 5:34 PM, msgreenf said:

DLNA - no scanning

All

thanks, ill ask my dealer to look at DLNA as synology supports the protocol I have the media server app running already and the music is in a separate shared folder.

Thank you for your assistance all, v.much appreciated.

Archived