C4 Forums | Control4

Smooth transitions with Leaf 4k Ultra 6x6 Media Matrix

unityinmarin

Hi there,

Does anyone know if the Control Leaf 4k Ultra 6x6 Media Matrix can handle fades or other smooth transitions between HDMI inputs?

I run the tech department for our church, and we were sold on a Control4 Leaf 4k Ultra 6x6 Media Matrix to handle the switching of our multiple HDMI sources being fed to a projector via ethernet and balun. We were previously using an inexpensive Binary switcher, which worked fine, but had slow switch times and left us with the dreaded blue screen between. We were told that this Control4 matrix would eliminate the slow switches and we could avoid the blue screen. However, our installer hasn't been able to speed up the switching fast enough to create a professional seamless experience. 

I've witnessed fades and other useful features on a Barco presentation switcher. I realize these can run more expensive, but we paid $5k for the Control4 system, plus the installer's labor fees, and it seems like for that much money, it should be able to handle things more gracefully. 

I would be so grateful for any help!

2 hours ago, unityinmarin said:

Hi there,

Does anyone know if the Control Leaf 4k Ultra 6x6 Media Matrix can handle fades or other smooth transitions between HDMI inputs?

I run the tech department for our church, and we were sold on a Control4 Leaf 4k Ultra 6x6 Media Matrix to handle the switching of our multiple HDMI sources being fed to a projector via ethernet and balun. We were previously using an inexpensive Binary switcher, which worked fine, but had slow switch times and left us with the dreaded blue screen between. We were told that this Control4 matrix would eliminate the slow switches and we could avoid the blue screen. However, our installer hasn't been able to speed up the switching fast enough to create a professional seamless experience. 

I've witnessed fades and other useful features on a Barco presentation switcher. I realize these can run more expensive, but we paid $5k for the Control4 system, plus the installer's labor fees, and it seems like for that much money, it should be able to handle things more gracefully. 

I would be so grateful for any help!

For fading etc you would have to be looking at a presentation processor. While certainly possible, you would have to look at multiplying your budget many times over. A basic Barco E2-Jr (the 'little brother' of the Barco processor line) comes in above 40k just for the hardware....

Thanks for the quick responses and info! You both confirmed my suspicions, which were that this salesperson didn't really understand the capabilities/limitations of the Control4 unit. I'll look into replacing with something else. I have seen some more basic Barco units for around $4k, but I don't think they have HDMI inputs. I'm guessing SDI instead, so I'll need to convert. I'll check out Extron too.

I've used Kramer before in stand alone situations, but I'm an Extron shop, so usually go with their products.

If using a control system (like C4) to operate this type of switch, I'd lean towards the Extron unit because the protocol for Kramer is a steep learning curve in most situations.  Extron's SIS commands are dead simple, for example RS232 command: 1*2/r (this means input 1 to output 2, with a carriage return)  Can't get any easier.

In other words, drivers would be the only downfall as these would have to be created.  Any good dealer would easily be able to whip one up though.

Archived