C4 Forums | Control4

HC800 vs EA5

DimitrisT

Hi to everyone,

I would like to ask you some questions about the difference between the HC800 and the EA5 controllers.

We have already used the HC800 controller, with success for years and the technician suggest us to replace it with an EA5 one, and the HC500 with an EA3.

What we will gain more with that transition?

If we replace it, for how many years will the new ones last?

If we don't replace it will we have problems in the everyday operation on the whole system?

Do you believe that will worth that transition?

I'm looking forward for your observations.!😎

Thank you in advance,

Dimitris

Well unless you need more IR outputs to control things in various rooms, you need more than 4 audio outputs, or you need 2 on screen navigators (which is unlikely these days)...

You should just be able to rip out both the HC-800 and HC-500 and replace with just a single EA5 and only have 1 controller for the whole project. If there is Cat5e ran then you can use that for IR and get rid of the second controller. Depends on your setup though.

With that being said at the very minimum you should definitely rip out the HC500 so you can update to the latest OS version. The HC500 is dragging your whole project down. Upgrading from 2.9.1 to 2.10.4 is a good idea.

The HC800 is still a pretty good controller but I do believe pretty soon there will be some serious limitations on any controller that is not an EA series. As of today the HC800's still run pretty fast and have most of the features of an EA5, but the EA5-V2 is a good call and a worth-while upgrade regardless. The biggest difference is HC series runs flash, and EA series runs Android, and although they might appear to function the same way there are some major technical differences under the hood. Moving to an android OS and ditching flash is strongly recommended.

4 hours ago, BraydonH said:

The HC800 is still a pretty good controller but I do believe pretty soon there will be some serious limitations on any controller that is not an EA series. As of today the HC800's still run pretty fast and have most of the features of an EA5, but the EA5-V2 is a good call and a worth-while upgrade regardless. The biggest difference is HC series runs flash, and EA series runs Android, and although they might appear to function the same way there are some major technical differences under the hood. Moving to an android OS and ditching flash is strongly recommended.

Yep. Control4 has dropped software upgrades on the other flash devices (touch screens). It's only a matter of time before they drop it on the HC-800/HC-250.

Archived