C4 Forums | Control4

Multiple Garage Door Buttons and Ideas

burowyako

Question

I'm looking to add some crazy functionality to my garage...like opening a garage door from two locations.  Ooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  I don't quite know what I'm doing, so any help is appreciated.

I currently have the standard garage door button that came with both of my Liftmaster Professional Formula 1 openers which are mounted on separate two-gang boxes.  The buttons are located in independent locations.  From each motor to the single button locations, the garage door installer ran a single-pair of wire to the openers.  However, when I was wiring my house, thankfully I did a little thinking and ran a two-pair wire from one two-gang box to the other, in addition to a Cat 5e from each box down to my rack with my HC-800. 

I haven't tested it yet, but I suspect that I can just add a pair of wires to the existing buttons, add a momentary button on the other end, and I should be able to open a single door from both locations, right?  I haven't thought of what to do with the Cat 5e, but if you have any ideas, I'd love to hear them!

My second question is what opener buttons do you recommend?  I have a two-gang box, and I'd like to fill the full opening if possible rather than adding a blank to one side.  My current buttons have the Lock and Light functionality, but I honestly don't know if I care about those.  The main thing that I like about the current buttons is the light on them, and I don't know if I lose that when adding multiple buttons to a single circuit.

As of right now, I'm thinking about going with a momentary switch like this, but I don't know what I don't know.  Any input is appreciated!

4 answers to this question

You need to get a card access relay on your garage door so you can fully integrate with C4.  Then you can bind it to any control4 button you want.  I can see the status of any of my garage doors and open/close them via the 6 button keypad in the master bedroom.  

3 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

You need to get a card access relay on your garage door so you can fully integrate with C4.  Then you can bind it to any control4 button you want.  I can see the status of any of my garage doors and open/close them via the 6 button keypad in the master bedroom.  

@Jeffrey, thank you for your reply.  Forgive me if these are simple questions.  Is the card access relay only needed to bind the buttons, or is it needed to simply know if my garage is open or shut, along with being able to open or close the door from Control4?  I bought the magnetic contacts for the doors, and I can run wire from each opener to my rack, which I believe was going to somehow be programmed on my HC-800.  I don't understand how the circuitry works on these things, so please bear with me.

The relay is a sort of one piece solution for door status, ability to open and close and also extend the zigbee mesh.  Since you have the cable already run, you probably could have some programming done off of it to get where you need to go.  I am not sure if you can control more than one door with your connection going back to 800.  Also not sure if you can program in door status too.  Someone on the forum will know this.  

Archived