C4 Forums | Control4

Control4 App through VPN

Zuhair

45 minutes ago, Zuhair said:

Do I need to subdcribe to 4Sight if I'm using VPN to connect back to my house? 

It depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  If you're looking to have the Control4 app work remotely, it should work just fine.  I haven't tested the app through my VPN connection for a while but it used to work without any issues. 

If you're looking to have third party devices like Amazon Alexa work with Control4, then 4Sight will be required for them to work.

4sight is worth it. Even as a dealer with my own VPN set up I strongly prefer 4sight and pay for it personally. It works way better than a VPN.

Also things like push notifications, e-mail alerts, project back-ups, when/then programming, amazon alexa, apple watch and more, it is definitely worth it.

Between having completely secure remote access that just plain works + push notifications 4sight is worth it just for those features alone.

Good luck trying to rig up the VPN to avoid the $10/month. Its just not worth the headache in my opinion. Especially when wife and kids are involved, they definitely don't want to mess with a VPN every time they want to control things.

But to answer your question

is it possible to use a VPN to connect to a Control4 system without 4sight? Yes.

Is it recommended? No.

20 hours ago, Zuhair said:

Do I need to subdcribe to 4Sight if I'm using VPN to connect back to my house? 

No you can connect through the vpn however it is not a supported solution.

You will need to manually add the main controller in the app. 

you have to turn your vpn on and off as you need it 

have to teach your wife and kids how to do it good luck

4sight is less that $10 bucks a month splurge a little hehe.

4sight is worth it. Even as a dealer with my own VPN set up I strongly prefer 4sight and pay for it personally. It works way better than a VPN.
Also things like push notifications, e-mail alerts, project back-ups, when/then programming, amazon alexa, apple watch and more, it is definitely worth it.
Between having completely secure remote access that just plain works + push notifications 4sight is worth it just for those features alone.
Good luck trying to rig up the VPN to avoid the $10/month. Its just not worth the headache in my opinion. Especially when wife and kids are involved, they definitely don't want to mess with a VPN every time they want to control things.
But to answer your question
is it possible to use a VPN to connect to a Control4 system without 4sight? Yes.
Is it recommended? No.

I didn't setup VPN to avoid 4sight monthly charges, VPN is there for other purposes. I just thought if it will work through that channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't setup VPN to avoid 4sight monthly charges, VPN is there for other purposes. I just thought if it will work through that channel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use VPN on rare occasion to control C4 from away. It works but only when on wifi not cellular for me on my Pixel 2.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Archived