C4 Forums | Control4

Dimming and Buzz

I got some under/in cabinet lighting installed in my new kitchen.  Using a C4 ADP120.  Getting a hum when its dimmed but at full strength its fine.  My electrician looked at the spec sheet prior to installing and he saw ELV on the spec sheet and said that was all that was needed.

First time with this kind of lighting - is this normal behavior?  I am repurposing this dimmer from another area of the house but where that dimmer used to be located it was still dimming a regular LED bulb (not ELV) and had no problems and that bulb was almost 5 years old - so older LED bulb technology too.

9 hours ago, twmoonly said:

Also did you  try changing how the dimmer dims? Reverse or Forward Phase?

nope did not try - is one preferred over another?

10 hours ago, Matt Lowe said:

the transformer is not dimmable or damaged.  The APD are compatible with just about every type of dimmable device out there. if its buzzing its likely the transformer that is doing it.

something I can ask my electrician when I see him especially if the APD allowing other loads to dim properly.  

3 hours ago, eggzlot said:

nope did not try - is one preferred over another?

something I can ask my electrician when I see him especially if the APD allowing other loads to dim properly.  

this should have happened automatically when you powered on the dimmer and load together for the first time. you can force it to happen again by press the kill tab on the top right corner. and power it off and back on. you can also change the dimming type on the dimmer properties in composer.

if neither phase eliminates the buzzing you need a new transformer.

14 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

this should have happened automatically when you powered on the dimmer and load together for the first time. you can force it to happen again by press the kill tab on the top right corner. and power it off and back on. you can also change the dimming type on the dimmer properties in composer.

if neither phase eliminates the buzzing you need a new transformer.

i am by far an electrician :-)  kill tab is on the c4 dimmer or on the transformer?  i can start there as accessing composer isnt easy right now.

12 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

Not hidden its the small plastic bar just above the rocker switch. Just push in the right side.

ok so i understand if i did it correctly - if i press that small plastic bar above the rocker to the right of it - will the lights blink on/off/on or something as the switch "reboots" or something?

2 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

ok so i understand if i did it correctly - if i press that small plastic bar above the rocker to the right of it - will the lights blink on/off/on or something as the switch "reboots" or something?

It's a kill switch. Everything will lose power. Technically if you are changing a bulb with a dimmer you need to use this as a small amount of power of always flowing

9 minutes ago, Matt Lowe said:

It's a kill switch. Everything will lose power. Technically if you are changing a bulb with a dimmer you need to use this as a small amount of power of always flowing

so if the kill switch shuts off the switch.  how do i reboot it?  press it again?

15 minutes ago, eggzlot said:

so if the kill switch shuts off the switch.  how do i reboot it?  press it again?

It won't turn back on until you put the kill switch back to the is original position. Losing power for more than 5 seconds will cause it to reboot.

ah so press the lil button thing to the right.  that kills it.  then press the upper left to put back into place or push the upper right again?  how do you put it back into place?

seems simple, i just must be out of it today.

49 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

...are you SURE that the transformer is dimmable but also that the BULB is dimmable as well? That latter part is often forgotten

Believe so

did the switch on/off and seems to be working

case closed....for now 🙂

thanks for the help 

Archived