C4 Forums | Control4

Use Forecast High Temperature as a Condition in automation

dw886

I'm using the Weather Underground driver (yes, I have an API key for now....), and I'm wondering if I can trigger some automation based on the Forecast High Temperature for the day.

Background: We have a group of windows with Southern exposure.  This heats up the house.  Sometimes this is good (winter), sometimes it is not (summer).  They're motorized.

What I'm trying to do:  If the outside temp is going to be > 70, then close the shades when we're not home, else, leave the shades open, and heat...

I don't really want to trigger it on current temperature, because often the morning sun is what bakes the house, so it may only be 60 degrees outside at 8am, but the day may hit 85...

It looks like the WU forecast is all a text string.  Is there any way (other driver, etc) to get the forecast high?  I know that this (forecast high / low temperature) is on my T3 touchscreens, so the controller knows about this somewhere...

I would program off the current temperature at a certain time. if its going to be hot im sure by sometime in the morning its going to be higher than normal so you can program off of that. or even just program through out the day if it gets above a temp to close the shades.

maybe chowmains variable manipulator will allow you to extract the forcast temp from the string but that would a question for @alanchow. if thats the case let me know i can order and install if needed.

Archived