C4 Forums | Control4

Geofencing

timelinex

I see that to do geofencing I would need to get Alan's IFTTT driver. I am a bit hazy on the details though. Lets say I wanted to open my gate when I am X distance away. I know under ideal circumstances that as soon as I enter the geofence the programming will open my gate. However I can imagine dozens of scenarios where this doesn't work as intended.

For example: I am home and then I restart my phone. Will this not trigger my gate to open? 

Ideally it will not, I would do a variable for each family member. The IFTTT driver changes the status of the variable and conditional statements when the variable changes opens the gate. If the variable is set to home and you reboot your phone and it sends the IFTTT command again the variables value doesnt change

42 minutes ago, sonic30101 said:

Ideally it will not, I would do a variable for each family member. The IFTTT driver changes the status of the variable and conditional statements when the variable changes opens the gate. If the variable is set to home and you reboot your phone and it sends the IFTTT command again the variables value doesnt change

OK, that makes sense. I haven't done too much reading into it, so I didn't see exactly how it is implemented.

It seems like it still leaves the vulnerability that if my phone dies while I am out, but then I turn it on once it's charged at home. However that's not as bad or common.

Thanks

I use IFTTT for geofencing and recommend you do just like @sonic30101 said and use variables for each family member. This allows for a lot of other location/occupancy based programming options as well.

There are ways around it, but it's also easier to just have a separate instance of the driver for each family member who you'll be using this to make the programming easier. 

I've never had an issue where it mistakenly sent a location trigger. The biggest issue is that it's not always the fastest on its response. This doesn't really affect anything I use it for, but I could see it being a problem/annoyance with gates and garage doors if you use it for that. You could always test that and see how it works for you though. 

On 11/1/2018 at 2:20 PM, timelinex said:

I see that to do geofencing I would need to get Alan's IFTTT driver. I am a bit hazy on the details though. Lets say I wanted to open my gate when I am X distance away. I know under ideal circumstances that as soon as I enter the geofence the programming will open my gate. However I can imagine dozens of scenarios where this doesn't work as intended.

For example: I am home and then I restart my phone. Will this not trigger my gate to open? 

I have an iPhone and I use Home for the geofencing. I have had my phone restart while at home and it didn’t trigger the automation. I use an unwanted Lutron lamp dimmer as home (on) and away (off). I programmed my home macro to fire whenever that lamp module turns on. Works well for now. I also tried geofencing through Nest and setting my home to away when eco mode starts, or setting it to home when my thermostat sees me arrive. They worked equally as well. 

• 1 month later...

How do you get the events to show up in composer? I created events in the app on my phone, refresh in composer but can’t get the events to populate. I can’t program anything because I can’t get the events to populate. 

Tried emailing homeation  it didn’t get any reply. 

Any help would be appreciated. Would love to have geofencing again given that Followme is dead. 

Archived