C4 Forums | Control4

Can somebody explain the end points to me?

sofakng

I've had the audio/video end points explained before but I'm having a difficult time understanding it.  (it doesn't help that I was a URC dealer before Control4 either!)

Can somebody explain why there are multiple end points for a room?  (ie. Video End-Point, Video's Audio End-Point 1, Video's Audio End-Point 2, Audio End-Point?  etc)

Thanks for any explanation!

14 minutes ago, sofakng said:

I've had the audio/video end points explained before but I'm having a difficult time understanding it.  (it doesn't help that I was a URC dealer before Control4 either!)

Can somebody explain why there are multiple end points for a room?  (ie. Video End-Point, Video's Audio End-Point 1, Video's Audio End-Point 2, Audio End-Point?  etc)

Thanks for any explanation!

Endpoints is the official assignment for the devices Control4 will see and control for each function. (I.E., the TV in your room would be the VIDEO endpoint, but you might have an AVR which is the AUDIO endpoint. You wouldn't want Control4 to send the volume command to the TV, if the AVR is running the sound system.)

The reason there are different connections, are for different setups. 

Audio Endpoint: This is the device that is the last in the line, like a Triad Amplifier
Audio Volume Endpoint: This is the device that controls the volume. If using something like a fixed amplifier, your Audio Matrix Switch would control the volume, but the amp would be the last in the line.

(In most standard installs, without video and audio distribution, your Audio Endpoints and Audio Volume Endpoints are the same.)

The reason that there are separate audio and video's audio endpoints, are in some cases, the TV might be the endpoint for your video sources (like a local XBOX or Cable Box), but you may have in-ceiling speakers home run to the equipment rack, which play back your music. In some rare cases, you may have two sets of speakers, and thats' where the Video's Audio End Point 2 may be used. (Maybe you have an HDMI Video Matrix which feeds all the TV's in the house, and the distributed video sources are also running through a distributed audio system. But then there is a local XBOX or Apple TV in the bedroom that isn't routed through the house system. In this scenario, your in-ceiling speakers would be the audio end point 1, but the TV would be audio endpoint 2 (and Control4 would utilize the TV volume for the local, non-distributed sources.)

If you build a project, but don't see sources on your remote, or volume/sound/video doesn't work, check your endpoint bindings, by highlighting the Room Name under the connections tab, and make sure the correct TV and sound system are bound to your endpoints.

Thanks very much for the explanation!  I think I understand the basic idea (ie. two displays in a room would be multiple video endpoints, a TV and/or speakers might be separate end points) but I'm sure I will have more questions... :)

One other quick question for now, what is the Room Control -> VIDEO_SELECTION end point for?  (it's also sometimes listed as Output Video End-Point and RoomControl for the type)

Archived