C4 Forums | Control4

Buying switches elsewhere?

SRQUser

We want to add about a half dozen C$ switches in place of our regular light switches.

I cannot find anyplace to buy them other than our dealer. The dealer wants to charge us $180 each, and then $250 to program. 

Is that reasonable?

Any alternatives?

19 minutes ago, SRQUser said:

Is that reasonable?

I'm assuming he's not charging $250 to program PER SWITCH. If $250 is to install and program 6 switches, that's not unfair.

As for alternatives - you cannot buy new hardware outside of a dealer. Some Ebay stuff shows up, but it's generally second hand, sometimes a liquidated ealer, or a dealer that will soon be liquidating 😉

I wonder whether we should even have Control 4?  We had no choice of which company to use, as the builder of our house had this company as the Sub-contractor.  

Our HVAC is not compatible with C4.

Our DoorBird is not compatible with C4 (according to our C4 dealer), but nevertheless, they installed DoorBird.

Our door locks are not compatible with C4.

Our Garage door opener is not compatible with C4.

Our security cameras are not controlled by C4.

All of those will work with Alexa.

The only things we are using C4 for is our lighting, and shades. But the shades keep losing the connection.

Our Dealer is no longer shown on the C4 website as an authorized dealer.  If we need service, we get it in a day or two, not the 24/7 service we contracted for.  

Since all the wiring is in place, how difficult is it to switch from C4 to Alexa, and will the C4 switches & keypads we currently have be compatible with Alexa?

I don't know the camera brand.

Door locks are Schlage - chosen by the C4 dealer, but he says he can't program them to work with the C4 system.  We have connected the locks & garage door to alarm.com.  But we still have way too many apps to control all our needs.

1 minute ago, Drake0508 said:

I have a Schlage Connect and it works well. You have to use the z/wave interface but it works. My suggestion would be to reach out to a remote programmer that has more knowledge. My doorbird and Schlage were both done this way. 

I don't get it.  It seems that Z0wave devices SHOULD BE compatible, but when this guy tries it, he gives me some story about Z wave being difficult and it doesn't work consistently.   Our HVAC system is also Z-wave, and the HVAC contractor said the Trane system should work with C4, but it usually doesn't.

Z-wave is weird. The devices are often connected to a z-wave hub that is in the factory for testing. A simple tip is that when your add a z-wave device, you must run an exclusion first. Make sure it wasn’t attached to another z-wave controller. Then run the inclusion mode and it will work. I just did one with the programmer I use. Message me and I’ll send you his info. 

I admit that z-wave is new to some of the dealers. It doesn’t act the same as the zigbee stuff. I just happened to run into a guy that knew how to handle it. The Schlage is a solid lock and works well. I’d prefer you get it working. I know it’s frustrating to have everything spread out across apps. 

The dealer is blaming me for the crowding. He asked if I wanted a cabinet or a rack, and I said a CAbinet. How was I to know he'd be putting so much in there.  And this is WITHOUT any phone connections - the modem he bought for me does not have phone capability. He told me to NOT use COmcast modem & router, but then COmcast could not install phone, so I have no phone in the house other than cellphones.

NOT HAPPY!

2 hours ago, SRQUser said:

Our HVAC is not compatible with C4.

Unlikely. Not impossible, but unlikely.

Our DoorBird is not compatible with C4 (according to our C4 dealer), but nevertheless, they installed DoorBird

False, although a paid 3rd party driver is required

Our Garage door opener is not compatible with C4.

I've yet to have one that is impossible to integrate - though again, it may require a paid 3rd party driver

Our door locks are not compatible with C4

Oh? If they are Schlage with a module, you could technically integrate them, either via zWave or by getting the proper module.

1 hour ago, SRQUser said:

It seems that Z0wave devices SHOULD BE compatible, but when this guy tries it, he gives me some story about Z wave being difficult and it doesn't work consistently.   Our HVAC system is also Z-wave, and the HVAC contractor said the Trane system should work with C4, but it usually doesn't.

Ah. Your HVAC is FINE - the THERMOSTAT is the issue. That said, again there's 3rd party drivers for that. Note that I don't like using ZWave/Vera with C4, it's...just not quite good enough in most cases.

Our security cameras are not controlled by C4.

Depends on the brand...but there's always the Blue Iris option.

Since all the wiring is in place, how difficult is it to switch from C4 to Alexa, and will the C4 switches & keypads we currently have be compatible with Alexa?

Difficult, and no they won't

But the shades keep losing the connection

Sounds like lack of mesh which added lighting would help improve

Unless it's a Powerview setup...in which case the issue is just going to be ... powerview

Our Dealer is no longer shown on the C4 website as an authorized dealer.

And there's your sign....contact Control4 consumer relations...

I don't get it.  It seems that Z0wave devices SHOULD BE compatible, but when this guy tries it, he gives me some story about Z wave being difficult and it doesn't work consistently.   Our HVAC system is also Z-wave, and the HVAC contractor said the Trane system should work with C4, but it usually doesn't.

You should get another dealer that knows how to deal with a more complex system. I am sure you'll find one or a recommendation for ur area here

Archived