C4 Forums | Control4

Possible to view/modify the commands (macro?) sent when a device/scene is turned on?

sofakng

When you select [Watch] and then a device (ie. [Tivo]), based on the routing and other information, a bunch of commands are sent to turn devices on or off, etc.

Is it possible to view and/or change the order they are sent?

I'm coming from a URC background where each room and activity shows the list of macros/commands that are sent and you can modify them, etc.

For my specific situation, I'm trying to stop my AVR (Denon AVR-X4300H) from turning on depending on the room it's activated from, but instead only send the input change command (which still works on the Denon even if the power is off and it will still send the HDMI as passthrough to the outputs)

Thanks!

I do have Composer HE but I'm not sure I understand what to do?  The connections just change the routing rules, right?

I'm trying to see the order of commands and what gets turned on/off for each activity if that makes sense?

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the connections just link devices together and define A/V routes.

For example, how would I send a custom command when a certain device is turned on?  Do I need to use programming and events or is there another way?

As a specific example, let's say I want to set a specific surround sound mode when I turn on my A/V receiver but only for my PS4 activity/device?

2 hours ago, sofakng said:

Unless I'm misunderstanding, the connections just link devices together and define A/V routes.

For example, how would I send a custom command when a certain device is turned on?  Do I need to use programming and events or is there another way?

As a specific example, let's say I want to set a specific surround sound mode when I turn on my A/V receiver but only for my PS4 activity/device?

One way to do this would be to do programming on “when source changes to...”

Depending on the Receiver, another way could be in the Receiver setup.

On 11/13/2018 at 8:48 PM, sofakng said:

I'm trying to stop my AVR (Denon AVR-X4300H) from turning on depending on the room it's activated from

For your specific scenario, you likely need to 'trick' the system. Mind you there may be settings contained within the driver that can be changed, don't know the driver as such.

It'll require ComposerPro, and it would involve a fairly complex change.

On 11/13/2018 at 8:48 PM, sofakng said:

I'm coming from a URC background where each room and activity shows the list of macros/commands that are sent

Forget all that. Not being mean, but Control4 doesn't operate that way. You do not setup 'activities' in that sense.

4 hours ago, sofakng said:

This sort of thing is easily done, but it's not a matter of editing 'system macros'

It's just a different method, but you need to truly try and 'release' the URC train of thought.

For the specific example, using Composer you would find the 'event' you seek to make a change to.

In this case that is a video selection change, so you go to the room, and select the room variable for 'When the selected video device changes'

From there you insert the required conditionals (IF source is PS4, that sort of thing) and then the required action (under the receiver, set surround mode to...)

Thanks!  I was able to get it working perfectly.

[Room] When the video selection changes
	If [Room] -> CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE EQUAL TO PS4
		...send my command...
	If [Room] -> CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE EQUAL TO XBOX
		...send my command...

However, is it possible to interrupt or override a command from being sent?  It looks you can RESPOND to an event but not prevent the event from happening?

Also, one last question... is it possible to display special commands in a menu at the top of the remote?  For example, when the PS4 is selected, I'd love to see a list of special custom commands at the top of the remote I can select if I need?  I've seen custom buttons but they seem to be global and not device specific?

I'm also aware of the three custom buttons (., .., and ...) but it could be hard to remember what each button is for, etc.

3 hours ago, sofakng said:

Thanks!  I was able to get it working perfectly.

[Room] When the video selection changes
	If [Room] -> CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE EQUAL TO PS4
		...send my command...
	If [Room] -> CURRENT_SELECTED_DEVICE EQUAL TO XBOX
		...send my command...

However, is it possible to interrupt or override a command from being sent?  It looks you can RESPOND to an event but not prevent the event from happening?

Also, one last question... is it possible to display special commands in a menu at the top of the remote?  For example, when the PS4 is selected, I'd love to see a list of special custom commands at the top of the remote I can select if I need?  I've seen custom buttons but they seem to be global and not device specific?

I'm also aware of the three custom buttons (., .., and ...) but it could be hard to remember what each button is for, etc.

1) Interrupt a command being sent - no, I don't believe so.  Commands are only sent based on a user action or a program... if select "watch -> PS4" then I expect the programming related to that to fire.  What, specifically, are you trying to accomplish in this scenario?

2) Special commands - the "Custom Buttons" agent allows you to create 4 "drawers" for custom functions you can program against.  They will show up in the upper/lower left/right corners of the T3/onscreen/ios/android interfaces, and under the "list -> custom buttons" menu on the physical remotes.  Create the "drawers" and "buttons" within the drawers in the agent config, and then write the programming for what happens when a button is selected in the programming interface.

9 hours ago, livitup said:

1) Interrupt a command being sent - no, I don't believe so.  Commands are only sent based on a user action or a program... if select "watch -> PS4" then I expect the programming related to that to fire.  What, specifically, are you trying to accomplish in this scenario?

I'm trying to use a feature of my Denon AVR where it can pass-through HDMI signals without being turned on.  If the AVR turns on then the speakers are also turned on.  However, you can still send the AVR change input commands and the AVR will stay off.

Regardless, I think I have a solution using events which is working.  I'm wondering though, if I have programming on the event "When video selection changes", does that mean C4 is finished sending IR/RS232/IP commands or does my programming happen during the commands and I need to add a delay to make sure C4 is finished first?

9 hours ago, livitup said:

2) Special commands - the "Custom Buttons" agent allows you to create 4 "drawers" for custom functions you can program against.  They will show up in the upper/lower left/right corners of the T3/onscreen/ios/android interfaces, and under the "list -> custom buttons" menu on the physical remotes.  Create the "drawers" and "buttons" within the drawers in the agent config, and then write the programming for what happens when a button is selected in the programming interface.

Got it.  Thank you!  The Custom Buttons are working fine.  Is there any way to add device specific custom buttons?  For example, when I select "PS4" and hit

• , I'd like to see a few buttons related specifically to my current device?  It sounds like that might not be possible?  Another example might be watching TV and you want to change surround modes or something else, etc.

Archived