C4 Forums | Control4

Monoprice 4x4 Video Matrix only working with certain input sources.

Ok, 

So my setup is as follows:

Monoprice HDX-404E HDMI Switcher / Splitter

4 input sources

Input Source 1 - Amazon Fire TV HDMI

Input Source 2 - Apple TV HDMI

Input Source 3 - Satellite TV HDMI 

Input Source 4 - Satellite TV HDMI

Output goes from the 4x4 Matrix via a Denon amplifier to a Samsung TV

We custom developed an IR controller for the 4x4 matrix - which is working as per the 4x4 specific remote

The problem that I am experience is as follows:

When I select Watch - and one of the Input Sources - the 4x4 Matrix changes Input Sources correctly. 

Regardless of when I select "Watch" and pick one of the Satellite TV options - I get Video and Audio Immediately, BUT, I don't get video or Audio content from the Apple TV or the Amazon Fire TV.

IF the HDMI Switch is set to the RIGHT Input source for the Amazon Fire TV or the Apple TV, and I disconnect power from the Fire TV or the Apple TV, and reconnect - then I get video and audio works perfect. (Exactly the same behaviour from both Fire TV and Apple TV). 

If I change (via the C4 Remote or the 4x4 matrix remote or the buttons on the 4x4) to satellite I get video and audio immediately - but when I change the source back to Fire TV or A TV ... NOTHING.

I've checked all the HDMI cables - and they work perfectly when connected directly to the Denon Amp.

ANY SUGGESTIONS Please guys. 

Sounds like a hdcp issue with the switcher itself. I would go into the settings of each source and lower them all to 1080p and test, then if it all works smoothly. Slowly raise the resolution 1 step at a time and see if that is an issue. Is the denon set to pass the resolution through or upconvert?

I was having HDCP issues with an nVidia shield and a KD 8x8 matrix, and swapping out the HDMI cable to one capable of HDCP 2.2 resolved it.  I was going through many of the same steps that you are trying - my cables / devices worked when I went directly to from my Shield to my Denon receiver or to a TV directly, but when I had the matrix in the middle I'd get nothing.  I was messing with EDID settings on the matrix thinking that it was an EDID thing.  It ultimately ended up being an HDCP issue with the cable (I could log into my matrix and see an HDCP fail message on that input - that's how I isolated it).

I have a very similar setup. Monoprice 4x4 going into a demon 1613. Hdcp would not allow for a handshake. Stuck this between the amp and the matrix and it eliminated the hdcp trouble. 

https://www.walmart.com/ip/3-in-2-out-HDMI-Matrix-Splitter-Selector-with-Remote-Control-and-AC-adapter-By-RadioShack-from-USA/440359652

found it dirt cheap at a closing radio shack. 

Archived