C4 Forums | Control4

How to prevent an endless motion sensing loop caused by a motion triggered light?

OMF

Need some help from one of the programming experts on this forum... What I would like to achieve is the following:

1. DS2 motion sensor senses motion.
  2. If time is night time, turn on outdoor lights for 5 minutes.
  3. After the timer expires, turn off the outdoor lights.

Although it sounds simple, unfortunately the outdoor light is well within the motion sensing area, and at the 3rd step when the light is supposed to turn off, the dimmed light re-triggers the motion sensor, and it goes into an endless loop.

Tried to add multiple timers, looked at the settings in the Security-Courtesy Light driver, but haven't been able to solve this seemingly very simple programming task.

Where I am stuck is I cannot disable the DS2 motion sensor for the duration while the outdoor light turns off from 100% to 0. But maybe you have an entirely different solution...

Any help would be much appreciated.

2 minutes ago, Cyknight said:

Add IF Light is off 

Thanks for your prompt reply, Cyknight, but I am not sure if I understand it.

Where do I add this in the above sequence? How will this put the motion sensor on hold, from being re-triggered by the light that is in the process of turning off? What should be the action under "IF Light is off"?

9 hours ago, sonic30101 said:

Also if it is a dimmer you can incrementally lower the light slow enough that the motion isnt triggered by the light itself which might help with additional false alarms 

Thanks a lot sonic30101, I  tried that, but didn't work. The light is so close to the DS2, even a 1% increment triggers the motion at the sensitivity I needed.

Starting the program with "IF Light is off", as Cyknight suggested, was a perfect solution. Thanks again for your help!

Archived