TP-Link Wifi Power Board Integrated!

alanchow

I am very excited by this.

• Stupidly affordable.  No more expensive PDUs
  • Wifi based
  • Surge Protection
  • 6 x individually controlled outlets
  • 3 x 2.4 amp USB ports
  • Energy monitoring per port (used to do some pretty cool stuff in Control4).

Great to throw behind a TV cabinet or inside a rack.

Timely for me! I’m working on getting some controllable outlet stuff set up, and I have a couple of questions, if you don’t mind. 

Given that you’ve written the drivers for both, do you have a preference between Wemo and TP Link?  I really like that TP Link would now allow for fewer WiFi devices than Wemo (given that these new devices can control multiple outlets), but if Wemo is a better product/experience, I’m fine with one outlet per device. 

Does your TP Link driver control the devices on the local network, or does it go out to the internet? 

Thanks much. 

9 minutes ago, Dr. Venkman said:

Timely for me! I’m working on getting some controllable outlet stuff set up, and I have a couple of questions, if you don’t mind. 

Given that you’ve written the drivers for both, do you have a preference between Wemo and TP Link?  I really like that TP Link would now allow for fewer WiFi devices than Wemo (given that these new devices can control multiple outlets), but if Wemo is a better product/experience, I’m fine with one outlet per device. 

Does your TP Link driver control the devices on the local network, or does it go out to the internet? 

Thanks much. 

No problems.  Always happy to answer questions when i can (though it is easier to reach out to us via the contact us page on our website as we don't monitor the forums).

Given that you’ve written the drivers for both, do you have a preference between Wemo and TP Link?

Both devices are good.  The wemo is superior if you require instant feedback as we need to poll the TP-Link device for its status.  Though some people don't care about instant feedback as the outlets are not physically being turned on / off by hand or they don't care about waiting the extra few seconds for the feedback.

Yes our driver communications on the local network.  Doesn't rely on the internet for communications.

• 1 month later...

Alan, @alanchow

Love the driver.  A couple of questions:

1. Is the inability to add an outlet to a scene still a limitation?

2. Presuming yes, I understand that you can use programming to piggyback an outlet ON/OFF onto an existing scene...?

3.  On the 6 outlet switch, if I just want to turn off all 6 outlets on the switch at once, what would be the best way that I can do this that appears in my navigators (touchscreen)?  I want to do the same thing as a scene, where the scene would turn on or off all 6 outlets (and nothing else).  Any ideas?

thanks in advance,

-BK

8 hours ago, BK0001 said:

Alan, @alanchow

2. Presuming yes, I understand that you can use programming to piggyback an outlet ON/OFF onto an existing scene...?

3.  On the 6 outlet switch, if I just want to turn off all 6 outlets on the switch at once, what would be the best way that I can do this that appears in my navigators (touchscreen)?  I want to do the same thing as a scene, where the scene would turn on or off all 6 outlets (and nothing else).  Any ideas?

thanks in advance,

-BK

We are working on a new outlet light driver for Control4 which is based on the lightv2 proxy.  This supports advanced lighting scenes and is compatible with any driver that can connect to the existing outlet light binding.  This includes our wemo drivers, tp-link drivers, orvibo drivers and even the Control4 outlet switch. Will be releasing this for free and is bundled in the driver downloads for any of our drivers.

In the meantime yes you can just piggyback off the lighting scene events and/or any experience buttons you want to tie it into.

12 minutes ago, alanchow said:

We are working on a new outlet light driver for Control4 which is based on the lightv2 proxy.  This supports advanced lighting scenes and is compatible with any driver that can connect to the existing outlet light binding.  This includes our wemo drivers, tp-link drivers, orvibo drivers and even the Control4 outlet switch. Will be releasing this for free and is bundled in the driver downloads for any of our drivers.

In the meantime yes you can just piggyback off the lighting scene events and/or any experience buttons you want to tie it into.

That sounds awesome, @alanchow...look forward to the release. Btw, kudos on the CEPro article today!

8 hours ago, BK0001 said:

Alan, @alanchow

thanks in advance,

-BK

With regards to #3, you could program a custom button to do that and it would be easily accessible from your touchscreen/phone app. 

Just now, rea said:

That sounds awesome, @alanchow...look forward to the release. Btw, kudos on the CEPro article today!

With regards to #3, you could program a custom button to do that and it would be easily accessible from your touchscreen/phone app. 

You can do that if you want.

Archived