C4 Forums | Control4

IFTTT geofencing with Alan's driver

timelinex

I have geofencing setup for my gate to open when I cross a particular threshold a mile or so away and hold it open for 3 min. I set it up per Alan's instructions but it seems there is one glitch i cant figure out.

There were a few times in the last week or two where it didnt work till right as I pulled up and stopped. At first I thought I wasnt firing it far enough from the house, but expanding the circle didnt help. Eventually I figured out it was likely when my android phone is in sleep mode it doesnt update ifttt with the location cross. This makes sense and it's why everytime I stopped the gate would open. I would always reach for me phone to open the gate, and as soon as I woke my phone, I am guessing it initiated everything.

Anyone else have this issue and was able to fix it?

On 12/15/2018 at 12:41 PM, timelinex said:

Just now I got home and it didnt run at all. Still shows as last ran yesterday , even though everything is setup correctly.

Any insight?

Is it showing as last run in IFTTT or in your driver? I had my Pushover link in the driver act up on me last week so I'd check to make sure your Pushover account is still connected/working. 

On 12/16/2018 at 2:13 PM, rea said:

Is it showing as last run in IFTTT or in your driver? I had my Pushover link in the driver act up on me last week so I'd check to make sure your Pushover account is still connected/working. 

Last ran in my driver yesterday, so it did end up running. I assume, after I was inside the house already. Seems like the delay is getting worse and worse, which obviously doens't make sense.

All I know is that I progressed from having it work for a few days and the gate would be open before I pulled up, to working right when I get to the gate, to now it seems to be responding once I'm already in side the house.

Are you using an Android phone?  Did you update recently?  Compare results when your phone is asleep and awake before entering or exiting the geofence radius. 

Side note, my android phone and the vera app was working perfectly with geofencing up until August of this year.  Since then (if my phone is asleep) I miss every single geofence trigger.  It must have to do with a particular os update on my particular phone and security settings while the phone is asleep.  It's only a guess.  I know I'm not the only vera user with broken (sort of) geofencing.  Vera is working on it.  

It's probably up to IFTTT to fix their side of things with the app

That sounds like about the time mine stopped working, although I put it down to my Samsung just not registering when it is a sleep, like it will always drop off the Wi-Fi if it goes to sleep, despite me allegedly stopping it from doing it in the settings. This always caused issues if I tried to program things against home and away based on my phone being registered on the network

Good idea guys. I will try to make sure that my phone is not asleep when I am crossing the geofence.

Many people are telling me it's just because IFTTT never worked well, but judging off discussion on these forums and my experience for a period of time... It seems like it DID work, and now something changed. I did have an OS update, but it's hard to know if that is when it stopped working. I can't remember exactly when the update happened and updates happen relatively frequently. I tried using the IFTTT option that put's IFTTT into your notification panel. It's supposed to circumvent sleeping issues. That did nothing though.

So I do wonder if this is an issue with an android update.

The transport is not reliable ie. the Internet whether via Wifi, 3G or 4G etc.

On top of that you hit IFTTT which will have its own latency issues.

Passed on to Pushover, or whatever mechanism you are trying to get data into your Control4 system, further latency and another step.

All single points of failure. If what you are looking for is information only on roughly the location of a device then this is probably fine 50% of the time.

If on the other hand you need to action events based on your specific location, 99.99% of the time,  then you need to look at tech that does not rely on any of the above.

RF 433 with a button press or BLE automatically sensing proximity with in metres, both will do the job.

18 minutes ago, david@berto.co.uk said:

The transport is not reliable ie. the Internet whether via Wifi, 3G or 4G etc.

On top of that you hit IFTTT which will have its own latency issues.

Passed on to Pushover, or whatever mechanism you are trying to get data into your Control4 system, further latency and another step.

All single points of failure. If what you are looking for is information only on roughly the location of a device then this is probably fine 50% of the time.

If on the other hand you need to action events based on your specific location, 99.99% of the time,  then you need to look at tech that does not rely on any of the above.

RF 433 with a button press or BLE automatically sensing proximity with in metres, both will do the job.

OK,  I just want to be clarify something. Neither IFTTT notifying Pushover  or Pushover notifying Control4 is the issue here. People keep bringing this up (in other locations I have asked this question). Checking the logs, those are almost instantaneous.

The issue is the phone or IFTTT not realizing I have crossed the barrier. In IFTTT language, the issue is that the applet does not realize the trigger happened.

Just now, david@berto.co.uk said:

Either way you are relying on an external provider/service to manage your event which is fine if this is adhoc information. 

Realtime events require realtime data. You will not get that accuracy from IFTTT.

It may work some of the time but never all of the time.

I agree, and I'm not running a security operation here. I recognize that IFTTT is not meant for "serious" jobs.

But it worked in the past and now it isn't working. So I am inquiring to see if people have fixed similar issues.

3 hours ago, timelinex said:

Good idea guys. I will try to make sure that my phone is not asleep when I am crossing the geofence.

Many people are telling me it's just because IFTTT never worked well, but judging off discussion on these forums and my experience for a period of time... It seems like it DID work, and now something changed. I did have an OS update, but it's hard to know if that is when it stopped working. I can't remember exactly when the update happened and updates happen relatively frequently. I tried using the IFTTT option that put's IFTTT into your notification panel. It's supposed to circumvent sleeping issues. That did nothing though.

So I do wonder if this is an issue with an android update.

That could be it. I'm using an iPhone and my geofencing actions with the driver have still been working very reliably. 

Archived