C4 Forums | Control4

Programming off of a video source?

Jeffrey

Is this possible and if so how would I do it?  

Trying to program: when video source Receiver is selected -> press button X to make center speaker volume increase and XX to make center speaker volume decrease.  Any ideas here?

Thanks,

Jeff

Not like that you won't. WHEN video selection changed is a trigger ONLY at the exact moment that happens.

Now, you CAN do

WHEN command [button x] is received {this is under room events}
IF current selected device equals receiver
	Do whatever you want

This is done per room, so adding this type of function to multiple rooms will require you to add it for each one one by one

Thanks!  I have the receiver attached to an EA-3 via serial connection.  How would I program a custom command to make this work in control4?  I got the serial info off the Anthem receiver web site and pasted it below.  I could enter a value of Z1LEV2+01    Is it possible to add this value to the programming above?  

Z1LEVyszz

Level setting: y=Channels: 0=subs, 1=fronts, 2=center, 3=surrounds, 4=backs, 5=LFE, 6=Heights1, 7=Heights2. s=sign: +/-, zz=value.  Example: Z1LEV1+01 represents fronts boosted by 1 dB.  Entry is rounded to nearest valid value. Subs, fronts, center, surrounds, backs have range -10 dB to +10 dB. LFE has range -10 dB to 0 dB.

Thanks!

Z1LEVy? returns Z1LEVyszz yes  

5 hours ago, Jeffrey said:

Thanks!  I have the receiver attached to an EA-3 via serial connection.  How would I program a custom command to make this work in control4?  I got the serial info off the Anthem receiver web site and pasted it below.  I could enter a value of Z1LEV2+01    Is it possible to add this value to the programming above?  

Z1LEVyszz

Level setting: y=Channels: 0=subs, 1=fronts, 2=center, 3=surrounds, 4=backs, 5=LFE, 6=Heights1, 7=Heights2. s=sign: +/-, zz=value.  Example: Z1LEV1+01 represents fronts boosted by 1 dB.  Entry is rounded to nearest valid value. Subs, fronts, center, surrounds, backs have range -10 dB to +10 dB. LFE has range -10 dB to 0 dB.

Thanks!

Z1LEVy? returns Z1LEVyszz yes  

You can't 'type' a serial code to send to the device, the coding would have to be available in the driver. MOST (proerply made) drivers should allow you so trigger any available code or macro to a device, but if they aren't, you'd need to get the driver edited.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Jeffrey, I’m interested to know in what capacity are you using the Receiver as the video source, are you referring to the Anthem AV Receiver or is this some other video source you are referring to?

I am pretty familiar with the Anthem AVRs, we use them on most jobs, with the Annex4 driver, I will take a look at how to achieve this later today.  

Having looked at the RS232 command structure document, you are not quite using the correct commands there. The Z1LEV1+01 type command is a discrete commands which will set the addressed channels to a specific level between -10dB and +10Db, it does not increase or decrease the currently set channel level by a desired amount, it will just go directly to the set amount in the command. For example Z1LEV1-05 will not decrease the front speaker levels from +7dB to _+2Dbm it will set them to -05Db.

The command you want to be using is just above that in the document which is based on the 'Z1LUPyzz' structure. For example Z1LUP101 will increase front channels + 01dB and Z1LDN101 will decrease the front channels by 01Db.

I had thought about creating a generic RS232 driver with just the channel +/- commands  you needed but you cannot bind the RS232 output on a controller to more than 1 device at a time.

I have messaged the guys at Annex4 about this as I currently don't see any way to discretely adjust individual channel levels on the fly within the driver as it stands.

An alternative solution in the meantime would be to create a couple of new speaker profiles, each with slightly different centre channel levels configured but otherwise the same as the original speaker profile. You can then use the Annex4 driver to program custom buttons to select the speaker profile of your choice and apply it to the input of your choice. If you wanted to just apply the chosen speaker profile to all inputs being used so that no matter what source you are watching the chosen speaker profile would be applied to it then you could create a macro to do this.

Some examples:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bq7jjny63wazjw/Screenshot 2019-01-04 09.50.19.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwwp9kcltwl6u8l/Screenshot 2019-01-04 09.50.42.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xm925h3jiezsk0j/Screenshot 2019-01-04 09.50.56.png?dl=0

2 hours ago, Crustyloafer said:

An alternative solution in the meantime would be to create a couple of new speaker profiles, each with slightly different centre channel levels configured but otherwise the same as the original speaker profile. You can then use the Annex4 driver to program custom buttons to select the speaker profile of your choice and apply it to the input of your choice. If you wanted to just apply the chosen speaker profile to all inputs being used so that no matter what source you are watching the chosen speaker profile would be applied to it then you could create a macro to do this.

Some examples:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2bq7jjny63wazjw/Screenshot 2019-01-04 09.50.19.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hwwp9kcltwl6u8l/Screenshot 2019-01-04 09.50.42.png?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/xm925h3jiezsk0j/Screenshot 2019-01-04 09.50.56.png?dl=0

Thanks for checking this out and sending the profile examples!  I had thought about doing that as well.  I will PM you in just a second, because I reached out to the Annex person on this forum and I will send you what he sent me.  It sounds like it is easy to update the driver, but I think only a dealer can request.  

Thanks,

Jeff

Another option would be to add IR control for the AVR too, as I’m sure there is a levels command which allows you to cycle between each of the channels and adjust the levels of each on the fly.

I messaged the guys at Annex4 and they confirmed those commands are not in their driver. 

4 minutes ago, Crustyloafer said:

Another option would be to add IR control for the AVR too, as I’m sure there is a levels command which allows you to cycle between each of the channels and adjust the levels of each on the fly.

I messaged the guys at Annex4 and they confirmed those commands are not in their driver. 

Check out my PM.  He sounded like he could add the serial commands no problem.  I bet he would do it for you if you asked.  I would owe you a pint!

Sounds like they would add a terminal command option to the driver allowing you use any of the available commmand strings as desired and would avoid them having to add all the various combinations of commands to the driver. Win-Win in my view. 

Cheers,

Chris. 

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Jeffrey, just  as a follow up to this, I have discovered this driver:

http://www.houselogix.com/shop/1x4-virtual-serial-splitter-av-receiver-zone-2-problem-solver

You could use this driver in combination with my advice in my earlier post here:

and create a small RS232 driver of your own so send the additional commands you want.

This Houselogix driver would allow you to have the Annex4 driver and your own custom driver bound to the RS232 connection on Anthem at the same time.

You will be able to do this. Once you have created and bound the RS232 driver with the extra commands you need you will be able to assign any of the custom buttons (1-3) to emit the required commands. Also, if any of the other buttons are not used for when watching a particular source, for example * or # etc then you could also assign the desired commands to those buttons instead.

Archived