C4 Forums | Control4

Advice on Unifi Network Gear

DLite

My router and network switches are getting a bit long in the tooth, and I am considering replacing them.  I'm considering going with a Unifi router and switches, because I really love my Unifi Pro access points; they are super reliable, and the Unifi controller is so easy to use.  However, my main worry is the "blacklisting" of Unifi network gear by C4.  Will a Unifi USG and switches play nicely with my Control4 system?  And, even if they do play nicely, do I risk a scenario where Control4 points the finger at my router if I ever have a problem with C4 devices in my house?  Should I avoid a Unifi router for these or any other C4-related reasons?  

As some background, my network architecture is very simple, in part because my current router is a Netgear Nighthawk, without any real enterprise features.  I have a primary home network and an isolated guest network -- no other segmentation.  And, I have about 80-90 devices attached to the network -- excluding all the C4 Zigbee gear.  

Thanks for any advice, and Happy Holidays!

I think think the only thing you would have to worry about is video distribution. If you don't have matrix video distribution, everything else is pretty generic from a networking perspective. 

I'm running Ubiquiti Unifi and see no need to switch. But no C4 matrix distribution.

To be clear, Ubiquiti isn't approved by C4 for video distribution, but C4 has also never published specs of what exactly is required for compatibility. People have gotten Ubiquiti to work. It's more a matter of c4 not wanting to spend time on complex troubleshooting of non-c4 networking equipment after designing their own to be simpler to configure. 

Mine has run for almost 3 years without an issue with C4.   Their gear is really nice and great value.  I would stick with the UniFi line vs Edge as it’s easier for a non pro to deal with...  My C4 system doesn’t have video distribution so can’t comment on that.

I have a Unifi USG router and five WAPs and everything works fine.  I don't currently have any Unifi switches but I will likely buy some in the future to replace my current switches as it gives me more control.  The problem is that in many spot I have cascaded switches as in some(most?) rooms I have more wired devices than LAN drops and I don't feel like paying over $100 for several 8 port switches as opposed to about $20-30.  And I have this situation in several rooms in my house.  So I imagine once I put a dumb switch downstream of a 24 port Unifi switch that I will lose all of the advantages of having a Unifi switch in terms of monitoring, reporting, etc.  For example - in my home office I have four LAN drops.  But I have a C4 controller, C4 matrix amp, networked printer, TV with ethernet connection, fingbox, desktop PC, laptop PC, SageTV networked streaming device, etc.  So I need an 8 port switch in the office.

Running Unifi here as well, work and home. USG Pros set as site-to-site VPN with multiple switches and access points on both sides. Cloud key on the work side controls everything. Everything as been great, just make sure you let other people test out new firmware updates. They don't seem to do very good beta testing. 

Is everyone with Unifi running with any different settings than stock/standard? I'm having issues with our C4 controls (remotes, touch screens, and mobile apps) getting extremely slow after just 12 hours. I can get rid of the delay by sshing to our EA5 and killing director but the slow response returns consistently over time.

I'm thinking it could be a driver issue or loop somewhere in the programming but not sure. Just want to see if anyone else has had this issue. Sorry for the slight thread jack.

At the risk of (re-)hijacking my own thread, does anybody use the Unifi UAP-Pro in-wall access points?  I love them for covering a single troublesome room, but I am also wondering if I can use its pass-through PoE outlet to power a Control4 T3 touch screen.  According to the spec's, the in-wall AP is rated for a 12W device.  The C4 touch screen reports a maximum power draw of 13W.  Is that close enough, or am I tempting fate by connecting the T3 to that PoE port?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived